PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I have heard a rumor or two that the State of California is planning on using the 9/14 recall election as a distraction to railroad more anti-tobacco legislation under the radar. Now, despite my inherent distrust of anything and everything Establishment, I'm not one to just throw caution to the wind and believe something unsubstantiated; that just creates a breeding ground for fear and paranoia, not to mention obviously being an effective way for disinfo to spread. Hell, even I tried my hardest to make the thread title as neutral as possible! I do loathe sensationalism.

Can anyone else shed some light on this? I'm not up to snuff on a lot of the inner workings of the anti-tobacco movement at large. It's something I tend to regard with a general disgust/antipathy, but avoid looking into more deeply. Perhaps that's a good thing, perhaps it's not. For now, just trying to get some answers on this, one way or the other.

Much obliged!

Last edited:
Reactions: coldbowl57

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I have heard a rumor or two that the State of California is planning on using the 9/14 recall election as a distraction to railroad more anti-tobacco legislation under the radar. Now, despite my inherent distrust of anything and everything Establishment, I'm not one to just throw caution to the wind and believe something unsubstantiated; that just creates a breeding ground for fear and paranoia, not to mention obviously being an effective way for disinfo to spread. Hell, even I tried my hardest to make the thread title as neutral as possible! I do loathe sensationalism.

Can anyone else shed some light on this? I'm not up to snuff on a lot of the inner workings of the anti-tobacco movement at large. It's something I tend to regard with a general disgust/antipathy, but avoid looking into more deeply. Perhaps that's a good thing, perhaps it's not. For now, just trying to get some answers on this, one way or the other.

Much obliged!
Wow, sorry...I completely just left out the most important part! I'm specifically concerned about online ordering, and whether this will continue to be available going forward. I know WA and ME have already done this, and I know State of California likes tobacco about as much as vegan likes carnitas. Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It doesn't take a lot of work to find out if any new state wide tobacco restrictions are on the horizon in Cali. The short answer appears to be no. Even the law passed last year banning the sale of flavored tobaccos, excluding pipe tobaccos, is on hold as enough signatures to overturn it were collected to require a referendum on the ban to be voted on by the people. Depending on the vote, that law may be overturned. Municipalities may enact their own laws, but that's a different kettle of fish.

Social media is a cesspool of misinformation intended to stampede the frightened, paranoid, brainwashed, and gullible.
People love to pontificate about California. The contents of their comments, when properly composted, may grow flowers.

Last edited:

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
My only political statement is that I, too, cannot stand the California bashing. (Grew up in San Francisco, live in Colorado now.) Having been back to San Francisco for family several times in the last four months, my theory is that a lot of people just left the city with the pandemic. (Some clearly have left because the economy is different now and some likely left for their second homes in Tahoe, wine country, etc.) I have never seen the airport so empty. (Denver is busy, while SFO is a ghost town.) One can get parking in places that were previously unattainable. There are fewer people in town to object to your smoking.

Seriously, as hostile as California is to smoking, it still needs the overbearing taxes it collects from tobacco and I've never had an issue walking around the city with a pipe in my mouth.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Seriously, as hostile as California is to smoking, it still needs the overbearing taxes it collects from tobacco and I've never had an issue walking around the city with a pipe in my mouth.
Nor have I. A few years back, I was sitiing on a park bench in North Beach, and decided to pull out a pipe and light up. A policeman stolled by and gave me a friendly nod as he walked past.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
What I know about the antis is that they do have a point. Cigarettes have a ridiculously high rate of morbidity and mortality for little obvious return. In my opinion if you have an issue with them, the blame is squarely on an industry that altered their product and manipulated politics and public perception without any serious regard for how their product effected people or maybe even more importantly from having informed consent (i.e. knowing and being aware the known risks and making the choice that's fine). I know too that like any group there are some over the top asshats among them. People who don't care if they know they're lying. Such as people that know they're lying about potential public laws, were at the mildest best case they know they're only speculating and present those speculations as fact. Yeah some people are just scum who only care about their agendas.
My suggestion is to realize that the people spreading these groundless, false, and intentionally inflammatory b.s. want you not paying attention to something. Whoever they are I promise that the worst thing for them in this election is people paying attention to whatever players in the game they like. Well at least that's how I see it.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
@sablebrush52 Thanks Jesse! I had a feeling what I heard (not on social media, by the way...I avoid it like the plague) was just a fearmonger's wet dream, and it indeed appears that way. At no point have I ever taken SmokingPipes for granted, though. You've made me feel better...again. I can always count on both you and mso849 for a no nonsense input every time! Much obliged. ?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You guys can all feel free to bash Alabama. I bet none of you can scorch this state like can, ha ha. To fully love something, you've got to be able to see it for all of its warts as well as the good.
It's very generous of you to offer up your State as a sacrifice to the jeers of people who amount to nothing so much as the boil covered south end of a northbound horse, but it is too great a sacrifice to accept. And I guarantee you that most Californians are all too aware of the problems as well as the blessings of that State.

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
There is a ballot initiative that has been filed to overturn the ban on flavored tobacco. It still has to get signatures and all that to actually make it on the ballot -- in Nov 2022.

I think the recall really only has to do with the Governor (which over simplifies things). I don't think tobacco or anti-smoking is involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.