Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mikeyb2000

Lurker
Jun 14, 2020
Hello all! I am about to purchase a used calabash that I am going to restor. Below are the stem components that need to be replaced. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to purchase replacement parts?
s-l400.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't worked with Calabash at all, but in replacing stems on other pipes, I have usually had to have something fitted by a repair person, or you might choose to do this yourself by researching what's needed. Not many pipes have ready made replacement parts, other than Forever Stems for MM cobs. There might be a source on these pipe parts, but I've not heard it discussed.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If that's vulcanite, applying heat from a heat gun or hair drier with lift some of the indentations. You could then further smooth it out with micro mesh and have no need of replacements.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Why is it all hammered like that? I will parrot what was suggested above, use of a little bit of heat. You would be surprised what just pops out. Micromesh can be used to smooth out any remaining irregularities.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Looks almost like someone took out the stem and tried clenching the shank. ?
It might be prudent to cover the gourd portion with a towel or something to protect it if you get out the heat gun.

Reactions: Peter - CCB