PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
A guy stopped, said to my grandfather he was giving a pipe to the first person he saw walking around. Since he quit, didn't care what was done with it, my grandfather gave it to me. Along with 12 oz of Smokers Pride Vanilla, and some cleaners I acquired this! Unfortunately when coming to cleaning/maybe replacement of cork gasket inside from slight damage, as well as general repair and knowledge I am at a loss!. Willing to give it a shot, understand how to clean meer/stem but the wooden bowl has crystal like build up on a massive scale! Any advice would be most welcomed here. Even better if you can tell me about it considering there are no markings in case/on pipe. Thanks in advance, would love to smoke this as it's my first calabash. Let the project begin!
Intend to get more pictures as I go along, I know their not the best, but they will do. (some just wouldn't focus!)
IMG_2599_zpsq9yzitd8.jpg

IMG_2605_zpsvpspqmyr.jpg

IMG_2604_zpscqbeb8zh.jpg

IMG_2603_zpsvsucooud.jpg

IMG_2602_zpsmyggkiuf.jpg

IMG_2601_zpsdkaytprl.jpg

IMG_2600_zpslbn4o3go.jpg

Worth noting, there are what seem to be burns on the bowl, but it all seems fine elsewhere. No cracks in the Meer or anywhere. The only thing is a small piece breaking with the gasket.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Be very carful with meer, it can be ruined easily, are you sure the pipe is wood/briar and not gourd? if so take care with that too, I would leave that to the more experienced.
As for cleaning the wood, you can strip the wax, varnish finish off with nail alcohol or polish remover, I would use Alcohol on a rag and wipe it down, this should take the top layer of wax off, if that dosen't do it then use the nail polish remover but this may take the stain off too

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
The heavy staining is from allowing the pipe to cool with residue from smoking and I imagine he smoked the aromatic tobacco that came with it and surmise it is from sugars in the casing hardened over. I would use your favorite alcoholic beverage, bourbon, vodka or whiskey, everclear if available to loosen the grunge and clean it up. If you do strip the bowl then buy a small bag of unscented kitty litter and place it in the bag ensuring it gets totally covered inside and out and leave it for a week. Once complete wipe inside and out with the same alcohol used to clean the grunge and allow to dry before refinishing and take photo, best of luck.

banjo

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
It is wood, unless a gourd has very large grain lines I didn't know about. I have dealt some with meer, and have done well. The problem I run into is running a clean through the stem ( have discovered how it comes loose from the pipe) just can't fit anything in. My biggest concern cleaning the chamber is the cork gasket and the effect of solvents on it. Mainly curious if I mess that up the hassle in fitting a new one in. Appreciate the feedback as always guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.