Cake, and Cake Questions (with Pictures)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malaclypse

Lurker
Feb 21, 2020
monroe louisiana
I just got a peterson system standard 312, its my first briar pipe and I'm not sure if cake is building correctly. previously i had a Missouri meerscham corn cob, and the cake started building very differently.
20200221_132839.jpg
20200221_132821.jpg

This is after about 2 ounces of tobacco, and as you can see, there is a flakey kind of buildup that looks like dross stuck to the sides, however, it doesn't come off from the spoon of my pipe tool with moderate pressure, the bottom is just as smooth as i started, even though i smoked 5 or so half-bowls to begin with. After every smoke I shake the ash and dross to coat the inside, dump out the dross, and use my fingers to remove any pesky bits of dross still inside. (not mentioning the tenon, stem and reservoir cleaning) Am i doing anything wrong? I've read a lot of people saying honey helps build cake, and I've read a lot of people saying that could ruin a pipe. Whats the truth? does anyone know?

Malaclypse

Lurker
Feb 21, 2020
monroe louisiana
Edit: I know I shouldn't worry about this for a while but i hear people talking about using liquor for deep cleans, I'm a recovering alcoholic, is there any substitute for liquor? I don't really trust myself buying some "just" for pipe cleaning.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I just got a peterson system standard 312, its my first briar pipe and I'm not sure if cake is building correctly. previously i had a Missouri meerscham corn cob, and the cake started building very differently.
View attachment 20208
View attachment 20210

This is after about 2 ounces of tobacco, and as you can see, there is a flakey kind of buildup that looks like dross stuck to the sides, however, it doesn't come off from the spoon of my pipe tool with moderate pressure, the bottom is just as smooth as i started, even though i smoked 5 or so half-bowls to begin with. After every smoke I shake the ash and dross to coat the inside, dump out the dross, and use my fingers to remove any pesky bits of dross still inside. (not mentioning the tenon, stem and reservoir cleaning) Am i doing anything wrong? I've read a lot of people saying honey helps build cake, and I've read a lot of people saying that could ruin a pipe. Whats the truth? does anyone know?
normal, that is normal cake build up.

Reactions: BROBS

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Edit: I know I shouldn't worry about this for a while but i hear people talking about using liquor for deep cleans, I'm a recovering alcoholic, is there any substitute for liquor? I don't really trust myself buying some "just" for pipe cleaning.
someone who cares about you probably has some liquor and if they understand the situation I am sure they'd be more then willing to clean you pipes when needed (only use it like once or twice a decade for pipe cleaning).

Reactions: BROBS

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Welcome to the forum.
I don't build cake in any of my pipes. I only smoke 1-2 bowls a week and do a hot water flush after each smoke.

I flush hot water through the pipe, wipe the chamber with a paper towel and run a couple of pipe cleaners through it, that's it....pretty simple.

Reactions: BROBS and seldom

Malaclypse

Lurker
Feb 21, 2020
monroe louisiana
Cake is overrated. I personally consider it unnecessary but there are plenty of posts about it in this forum.
You can start here ....
Is cake necessary?
Alot of people here are saying it provides with a cooler smoke, I'm currently having issues with smoking hot, i often times have to put a pipe down 1-2 times a bowl because it becomes too hot for my cheek, I'm trying to smoke slower but then i have to relight more. I guess i just need to find my cadence but will cake help out with this heat?

Alot of people here are saying it provides with a cooler smoke, I'm currently having issues with smoking hot, i often times have to put a pipe down 1-2 times a bowl because it becomes too hot for my cheek, I'm trying to smoke slower but then i have to relight more. I guess i just need to find my cadence but will cake help out with this heat?
Tool around on here for a bit. Dry your smokes drier than you think necessary, and when you think you are smoking as slow as possible, slow down more.

Go ahead and let your pipe cake up. I think that experiencing for yourself will show you what most of us have found, and that is that cake doesn't do the magic that others have told us it would.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Those are three blends I've never smoked. I can't help you there. I do have a couple of aromatics that smoke hotter than others. Exotic Passion is one that smokes hot everytime no matter how slow I smoke or how dry it is.

Reactions: anotherbob

Malaclypse

Lurker
Feb 21, 2020
monroe louisiana
Those are three blends I've never smoked. I can't help you there. I do have a couple of aromatics that smoke hotter than others. Exotic Passion is one that smokes hot everytime no matter how slow I smoke or how dry it is.
plum pudding and muddy waters definitely smoke hotter than navy flake, and they're both noticeably wetter, should I dry them out a little bit?

Malaclypse

Lurker
Feb 21, 2020
monroe louisiana
Of course, you will want to dry your pipe afterwards. I ream mine with a wadded paper towel afterwards. But, the water will also evaporate rather quickly, if you don't want to do this.
I'll start doing that, I'm just worried about too much moisture because I smoke 10-12 bowls a day between two pipes, and currently I don't really have the cash for more pipes, I'm a college student :P

Malaclypse

Lurker
Feb 21, 2020
monroe louisiana
Dear God, the forum will hear me say this for the first time ever... :::cough cough::: maybe pick up a few MM corncobs... Oh God, I think I'm going to be sick. Kill me!!! Kill me!!!
lol, are they really that bad? I'll try to pick up another corn cob or two, but I only work like 16-24 hours a week at louisiana's minimum wage of 7.25. I also have food and shit to worry about. I do prefer my peterson but I don't notice too much between the two unless I'm smoking super wet tobacco

Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.