Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
Bought this one weeks ago for a change, and because of the very nice tin art of a Black Lab. Decided to open this one today because I was looking for a different taste without a lot of flavor. This one has latakia, perique and black Cavendish. The dark tobacco in the tin smelled of a toned-down latakia and dark chocolate. The tobacco had just the right moisture.

Pleasantly surprised. A smooth smoke, no bite, relaxing and one I really enjoyed smoking slowly. I'm not well versed on tobacco but my guess is that the slight flavor is the latakia. I'm actually surprised I don't hear about this blend and see few reviews. Too bad they don't have 8oz tins or bulk amounts. I imagine there's another blend similar to this one out there but this was great. Can certainly smoke this all day if wanted. I'm wondering if it will taste different after this first impression.

The tin says, "Cornell & Diehl's Sam's Blend is an exceptionally smooth blend of Cyprian Latakia, Perique, and unsweetened black Cavendish." Bravo on a hidden gem. In a world of so many tobaccos of similar components and blends it's nice to find these surprises. 003-016-0165.jpg

radrick96

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2020
Orlando, Florida
Bought this one weeks ago for a change, and because of the very nice tin art of a Black Lab. Decided to open this one today because I was looking for a different taste without a lot of flavor. This one has latakia, perique and black Cavendish. The dark tobacco in the tin smelled of a toned-down latakia and dark chocolate. The tobacco had just the right moisture.

Pleasantly surprised. A smooth smoke, no bite, relaxing and one I really enjoyed smoking slowly. I'm not well versed on tobacco but my guess is that the slight flavor is the latakia. I'm actually surprised I don't hear about this blend and see few reviews. Too bad they don't have 8oz tins or bulk amounts. I imagine there's another blend similar to this one out there but this was great. Can certainly smoke this all day if wanted. I'm wondering if it will taste different after this first impression.

The tin says, "Cornell & Diehl's Sam's Blend is an exceptionally smooth blend of Cyprian Latakia, Perique, and unsweetened black Cavendish." Bravo on a hidden gem. In a world of so many tobaccos of similar components and blends it's nice to find these surprises. View attachment 34173
Good review. I’ve always gravitated towards it due to it having a dog on the label but there is not a ton of reviews

Maybe C&D has so many blends, the older “gems” are missed.

I will be sure to pick up a tin due to your review!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
You learn quickly. Sam's is an odd duck. I remember smoking it early on, and I believe it had a different name then. I too liked it but then stopped smoking it for some reason. To be on a forum is to be barraged by many many blends. It's fun to find your way through, but in finding it you sometimes lose it.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
You learn quickly. Sam's is an odd duck. I remember smoking it early on, and I believe it had a different name then. I too liked it but then stopped smoking it for some reason. To be on a forum is to be barraged by many many blends. It's fun to find your way through, but in finding it you sometimes lose it.
@saltedplug has it right. "Look, squirrel"

Attachments

• using-your-head-heart-soul-21-ways-to-survive-your-startup-19-638.jpg
    using-your-head-heart-soul-21-ways-to-survive-your-startup-19-638.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 5

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island

Maybe you are thinking of Black Dawg? Same blend but with Syrian Latakia. I used to love that one.

Reactions: Pipelady20

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
I always find blends lacking Virginia to be interesting. I may need to Get Some!

If you like that, consider trying LJ Peretti's Tashkent and C&D Pirate Kake Not saying they are that similar except they both lack VA.

View attachment 34198
Oh ok. Certainly will try that Pirate Kake, I already have it but haven't popped the tin, I'lll have to do that this week. I'll have to take a look at the LJ Peretti blend, thanks!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I got a tin a couple of years ago. I've only smoked it once and I liked it; however, the day after I smoked it I had day-long nausea: dunno if it was the blend or something else; ever since I haven't touched it so I haven't had a chance to find out.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Is it this one? C&D still has Black Duck, and it has a high rate on SPC 4.83/5. Higher rate than I've seen before, I may have to try it out. View attachment 34225
Any rating on SPC is only as good as the reviewer and the number of reviews. I was going to recommend tobaccoreviews but the reviews there have the same constraint. If you're reading a review that catches your interest, I would recommend rating the reviewer before the review.

Reactions: Pipelady20
Status
Not open for further replies.