PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
CE5D0FF7-7F7E-461F-A2B1-1E23BB330765.jpeg

Tin Note:
A little reminiscent of Union Square. Sweet, clean, pleasant. Very little Perique noticeable. No obvious orientals stand out to me.

First Light:
Very sweet. Crisp. Slight bit of oriental tasting floral-mustiness. A little sweet chocolate aftertaste. Not really tasting any Perique yet.

Mid-Bowl:
Very sweet! And now here is the Perique! A buttery creaminess envelopes the very fruity-sweetness...Oriental, Virginia, and Perique, all shining, all at once, in perfect harmony. This is really something superb. The most polite and timid whisper of cinnamon creeps through the background.

End of Bowl:
The middle-of-the-bowl flavors carry through to the end. All the deliciousness of all of the tobaccos combined into one wonderful flavor, coming together to create a new taste that is extremely satisfying.

Summary:
I am very surprised at how this blend transformed from the first light to something altogether different by mid-bowl. I was pleased at the beginning of the smoke, but did not expect much to come. Then, the flavors exploded into a fantastic symphony of taste that lasted to the end of the bowl. I am very disappointed that this is a limited run, as I would love to always have it available.

If you are debating between this one or the Dark Flake, I encourage you to get both. They exist in different flavor worlds from each other, so don’t worry that they will be too similar. Both are fantastic and should bring the blenders great pride. Highly recommended!

Jun 9, 2018
England
View attachment 21210

Tin Note:
A little reminiscent of Union Square. Sweet, clean, pleasant. Very little Perique noticeable. No obvious orientals stand out to me.

First Light:
Very sweet. Crisp. Slight bit of oriental tasting floral-mustiness. A little sweet chocolate aftertaste. Not really tasting any Perique yet.

Mid-Bowl:
Very sweet! And now here is the Perique! A buttery creaminess envelopes the very fruity-sweetness...Oriental, Virginia, and Perique, all shining, all at once, in perfect harmony. This is really something superb. The most polite and timid whisper of cinnamon creeps through the background.

End of Bowl:
The middle-of-the-bowl flavors carry through to the end. All the deliciousness of all of the tobaccos combined into one wonderful flavor, coming together to create a new taste that is extremely satisfying.

Summary:
I am very surprised at how this blend transformed from the first light to something altogether different by mid-bowl. I was pleased at the beginning of the smoke, but did not expect much to come. Then, the flavors exploded into a fantastic symphony of taste that lasted to the end of the bowl. I am very disappointed that this is a limited run, as I would love to always have it available.

If you are debating between this one or the Dark Flake, I encourage you to get both. They exist in different flavor worlds from each other, so don’t worry that they will be too similar. Both are fantastic and should bring the blenders great pride. Highly recommended!
Another great review and your words make me glad I got some of each. I was going to just get 6 tins of the Flake Dark but I'm glad I split it now and went for 3 of each.
To be honest I haven't tried much Cornell & Diehl but everything I have I've enjoyed, I especially love their Carolina Red Flake and I can't wait to try both of these new blends.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Nice to hear, they sound quite fantastic!

It seems that blenders have figured that most cellars are at decent levels and are now putting efforts towards limited time only blends.

Kvb stands perfectly placed at this time and suspect others are planning or have been planning their limited releases as well.

Either way nice to see new choices appear during these times!

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Another great review and your words make me glad I got some of each. I was going to just get 6 tins of the Flake Dark but I'm glad I split it now and went for 3 of each.
To be honest I haven't tried much Cornell & Diehl but everything I have I've enjoyed, I especially love their Carolina Red Flake and I can't wait to try both of these new blends.
I ordered more Dark than the Regular, just guessing that I’d like the Dark better, but now I think I ought to get some more Regular as well haha! I’ll be interested to hear what you think about them!

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Nice to hear, they sound quite fantastic!

It seems that blenders have figured that most cellars are at decent levels and are now putting efforts towards limited time only blends.

Kvb stands perfectly placed at this time and suspect others are planning or have been planning their limited releases as well.

Either way nice to see new choices appear during these times!
That’s a neat point I hadn’t considered! The only sad thing is, these limited releases have been pretty darn good, so it’s sad to think they may not make a return haha! I wish they offered 8 oz. tins!

Ken Byron is definitely doing some cool stuff. I still have a lot of exploring of his blends to do!

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Status
Not open for further replies.