PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
In my 45+ years of pipe smoking I've always fallen in and out of love with latakia. Had been in my no-latakia phase the past 6 months or so. But was taking stuff to the community compost pile today and caught a whiff of something burning and instantly got a desire for latakia back.?So, about to place a regular order in a few days and trying to figure out what latakia blend I want to try next. Never tried C&D Super Balkan but looks interesting. What do folks think about it?

Reactions: ofafeather

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
I like it. I was looking for a light english a year or so ago. I ordered small samples of lots of stuff and ended up on this one. Don't let the name scare you off. It is not "super" loaded with latakia. There is enough to smell and taste but it does not dominate. I"d put it right around the level of latakia you get in Presbyterian Mixture, if you are familiar with that blend. Maybe a touch more, but close. From the description, I though Atlas balkan was going to be lat heavy. It was lat very lite. At least the sample I got was. Super Balkan was more what I was after, though still not what I would consider lat heavy. More like lat light to medium

Reactions: marconi

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
I've been going back and forth on the latakia as well, LJ Peretti Tashkent does the trick when I want a little lat. Can't go wrong trying Super Balkan at $3.24 an ounce.

Reactions: vosBghos

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I like it. I was looking for a light english a year or so ago. I ordered small samples of lots of stuff and ended up on this one. Don't let the name scare you off. It is not "super" loaded with latakia. There is enough to smell and taste but it does not dominate. I"d put it right around the level of latakia you get in Presbyterian Mixture, if you are familiar with that blend. Maybe a touch more, but close. From the description, I though Atlas balkan was going to be lat heavy. It was lat very lite. At least the sample I got was. Super Balkan was more what I was after, though still not what I would consider lat heavy. More like lat light to medium
Funny you bring up Presbyterian, I was just thinking the other day Super Balkan is like Presbyterian on steroids , wich suits me fine as I like what Presby is hinting at but I feel like it’s so subtle I’m left wondering if I had just had a smoke. SB is Presby all grown up and in you face with great flavor and calls you back again and again because the aftertaste lingers in a really good way…

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
We all have our favorites . Mine is Nightcap. Absolutely no shortage of latakia in it.
I recently revisited the Cap ,had some friends over with a couple bottles of Malbec. They brought Tequila between that and ODF I must have alternated 5 bowls that night and they brought cigars. Neighbors must have thought the house was on fire…NC tastes great with a dark wine for me but I need that to really enjoy it…

Reactions: kcghost

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I also encourage you to take advantage in the reset to your Latakia taste levels with some milder blends. GL Pease has Chelsea Morning and Blackpoint that fit this category.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Super Balkan is a very nice blend. To my tastes it's a medium lat. I'm a big GLP fan and he has lat blends all over the spectrum.

I love latakia, the mild, medium and heavy blends...with Syrian being the ultimate bellringer.

Last edited: