PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
Tin date is 4-24-15. Components are Latakia (75%), Turkish, and Burley.
This is a long burning tobacco. Crumble cake. I haven't needed to dry it. I retrohale through the nose a lot, and it is a bit sharp that way, but not so in the mouth. I've been smoking this in comparison to C&D Byzantium (Latakia, Orientals, and Perique - called a Balkan blend) and the Pirate Kake is more flavorful. This is now, along with Dunhill Nightcap, a favorite blend. At 75% Latakia, this sounds like a heavy smoke, but it seems mild to me. It has the bottom flavor of Latakia, but the Turkish and Burley add a mid-level taste. I'm smoking it in a Savenelli 611 KS Bent Dublin.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Thanks for the review. I dont think I have ever experienced latakia without the presence of virginias, this is the perfect use of the tobacco review site for me. I searched for anything including latakia and burley, and excluding virginias (and perique because I cannot smoke it). 38 blends come up, pirate kake having 3 times as many reviews as the second most reviewed, and rating fairly high. Also the second option is discontinued anyway, the third option is on already on my list of aromatics to try, the Edward G Robinson blend...actually when I went to add pirate kake to my 'Blends To Try' list i found it already there ha, but at least I can leave a note saying to try it for lat/non virginia purposes...
Isaac

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That's a tasty full flavoured blend for sure. I tried it during the last Pax tobacco crawl and enjoyed it very much. Was my first crumble cake experience too. Still have most of the tin left over but I will take care of that in the fall when it cools down a little. :puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm about to load a bowl up, and my original sample from the Tobacco Crawl has now dried down to the point where I will add some of the half pound I got last week.
I love that stuff!
I don't get any salt water up my stem. Click- do you simply dislike the stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.