PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
It might be post Covid/ post freight training VA, but I can barely taste the Orientals but I get a ton of Perique, would anyone call this an OrPer?

Is my palate just way off ?
Though I must admit I was getting hints of a very green tea taste toward the end of my first bowl and the mouthfeel was very tea like.

Thoughts?

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Just two so far in the second one I was only tasting the Perique but the aftertaste/mouthfeel IS very green tea , maybe I was expecting something else is all from the name. I definitely get the silk , maybe I’ll have to smoke more and more carefully to get the Orientals. Just wondering if there are any other opinions/ thoughts on ways to get the best flavor. I let it dry for 20 min the first time and like 10 minutes the second in a dry Southern Idaho climate. Next bowl I’ll try straight from the tin and see what happens…

Reactions: ofafeather

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
I just ordered an sample ounce myself but Pipes & Cigars stiffed me on the delivery, running that down now. I'm hoping the Orientals register that's why I bought it. Tea nuance is very common especially with Basma, green or I sometimes get Earl Gray influences.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Dang yeah feel like I’m having Covid after shocks, flavors are all over the place , thanks for piping in , even Dr.’s need second opinions…
If you recently had Covid, your taster may still be a bit messed up. I had it 6 weeks ago and my sense of taste goes in and out of funky still. What really bugs the crap out of me is I've had a frequent, persistent, deep hacking cough since it hit. Really messes up sleep.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
If you recently had Covid, your taster may still be a bit messed up. I had it 6 weeks ago and my sense of taste goes in and out of funky still. What really bugs the crap out of me is I've had a frequent, persistent, deep hacking cough since it hit. Really messes up sleep.
Thanks for replying yeah it’s good to know because I don’t have any friends who smoke to bounce this kind of post Covid palate info off of , because yes taste comes and goes and is not back to normal, and the cough and wheeze which is completely different.I didn’t know if all of this was happening to others. I’m glad every once in a while and I get a flavor that is close to how it was pre Covid I know there are so many nuances that I’m missing but it’s reassuring to know there are similar experiences out there…

Reactions: KruegerFlap
Jun 23, 2019
Covid knocked my taste/smell out for a good 2 weeks too. And then when it came back, it felt like different tastes came back one at a time. For me, in the beginning I could only taste vinegar and 'sour' tastes in fruits and foods; slowly the rest of the flavors came back to me.

Even now (a month and a half pass) my tastes are still kind of different and funky. I have noticed I'm a lot more inclined towards burleys now.

Reactions: vosBghos

ClenchedBilliard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 19, 2021
Louisiana
I’d set it aside and let it rest for a week or two. The perique does jump out front in a fresh sample, the orientals should pop better after a little breathing time.

Reactions: vosBghos

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Smoking it right now! I definitely see where you are coming from with the whole green tea notes, but I also get some nice honey and hay which is from the Virginias. The perique is reasonably noticeable, especially in the nic-hit. But I know there is Oriental in this blend simply because it doesn’t taste like any VaPer I’ve had.

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
COVID is the pipers worst enemy. Got my new booster last week because of that. 👍
I’ve gotten exactly zero covid shots (I’m youngish and in very good health) and have muscled my way through a couple bouts of mild covid. That said, the first time totally effed with my taste and smell, but each time I get a cold (or covid, I guess: I never test for it), my sense of smell improves. Basically back to normal now!

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
VA/Oriental with a touch of Perique - yes.

Green Tea - yes.

Silky mouth feel - yes.

A slightly peppery note at most to my palate but a Perique bomb? - no.

However, you might be more sensitive to it than others and everyone’s taste is technically correct because it’s entirety subjective.

Or, alternatively, Covid made your taste buds wonky and you face a terrible and bleak future where chocolate tastes like wet dog and your favorite tobaccos remind you of ham flavored jello with rainbow sprinkles, lol.

Hopefully you avoid that last one. Yikes, it doesn’t bear thinking of for long. Good luck.

Reactions: Singularis

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I’ve gotten exactly zero covid shots (I’m youngish and in very good health) and have muscled my way through a couple bouts of mild covid. That said, the first time totally effed with my taste and smell, but each time I get a cold (or covid, I guess: I never test for it), my sense of smell improves. Basically back to normal now!
Same here

Reactions: Singularis