PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
I am in the middle of smoking my first bowl of C&D Opening Night as I type this so I thought it would be a good time to comment. It's no review(especially since it's my first bowl) just my thoughts.
My wife and I were coming through Nashville a week ago on the way to pick up a boat, and I told her that since we were close I'd like to stop at Uptowns and check it out. I have heard a lot about that place and I figured we'd better stop. She isn't really into my pipes or tobacco, but she doesn't give me too much grief. We stopped in and I picked out a tin of Squadron Leader. She said might as well get two since we are here. I thought it would be a good idea to have here randomly pick one out for me. She came back with a tin of C&D Opening Night. I was pretty happy because it sounded like a nice virginia blend.
After lunch today I decided to take my computer out to the garage and work a little while watching it rain. I pulled my falcon with a meershaum bowl out of the cabinet and gave a flake of Opening Night a slight rub. I packed it lightly, a little too full, and took a flame to it. I didn't let it dry down at all so it was a bit tricky to get lit. Once the flame took it has smoked like a dream ever since. It doesn't have the tang that I like, and the tin aroma would lead you to believe it would have. That being said, it has been a really nice smoke. Its a little sweet, and VERY smooth. It smokes almost like a Latakia blend, and in a good way. There has been no bite no matter how hard I push it. I have a feeling it will have more of the sweet tang that I enjoy in a briar, but I wanted to smoke it in a meershaum first to get a baseline. I think this would be a great intro into the virginia world because it seems to be very forgiving.
Anyway, I will quit rambling and wish everyone a joyful weekend.
Jake

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Not surprising she picked out a C&D blend on account of the tin art and such. Or does she know a thing or two about tobacco? Given what you said before about her not being too interested your pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.