C&D Mississippi Mud - First Impressions (mild!)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I've had this tin since Christmas but never dared to open it because I have an OCD with finishing what I open so usually run with 3 open tins at a time, any more tends to make me nervous. The downside is that if I have something open I *need* to finish it (like it or not), especially blends I can't readily get.

So opened the tin and got a musty smell. The Latakia is clearly there but thankfully lower than other recent offerings. The Perique is also there but hidden from me, and there was a third note that must be the Cavendish. My bloodhound-nosed wife actually came into my room and asked if I smell cat poop, then I realised she was referring to the tin! There is a off smell that could be perceived as dung I'm afraid. The tobacco was at perfect moisture, a tad on the wet side, but that's never a bad thing. Overall I like the C&D tins.

I smoked a bowl, and then I smoked another after about an hour, overall I'd say this blend is fairly mild for me.
The predominant taste is of Latakia, but that might just be me, I'm going through a period of sensitivity to Latakia and feel that it overpowers everything. There's some sweetness here and there, and the Perique shows up only once every couple of puffs for my unrefined palate. The pity is that the stars didn't align many times in these two bowls - because when the sweetness came up, along with the Perique the taste was wonderful, so overall my impression is that it's a mildish Latakia blend. It does coat the mouth though, and thankfully the...other smell does not translate a lot into the smoke. I won't be buying it again. Please feel free to shred me if you don't agree, I won't mind to be schooled, but I wrote what I got from this blend.

P.S. As I was writing this post I opened the tin a few more times to get a couple of good sniffs, my wife passed behind me, sniffed the air and said "It's that smell again?!". I actually showed her the line above ;)

Last edited:

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I smoked a tin of this in my beginning year of pipe smoking. I hated it, but I also smoked it wayyy too hot and it tasted like sweaty dirty socks.

I have considered revisiting it, but looking back at my notes and reviewing my memory, this blend is very cavendish heavy, which I think I could appreciate now, but it just doesn’t fit in with my tastes at the moment. I think your nose did a good job picking up what this blend has to offer!

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Give it at least a week after opening it. C&D blends often seem to need a week to breathe and settle down, IME. If it’s still not working just jar it up and put it aside for a while.

Reactions: dcon and Casual

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Give it at least a week after opening it. C&D blends often seem to need a week to breathe and settle down, IME. If it’s still not working just jar it up and put it aside for a while.

I left the tin open on the balcony for three days, the other smell subsided quite a bit - but it is still there - and overall it has become more enjoyable. Still my impression is what it was at the start, that it is a mild Latakia blend. Interesting experiment perhaps, really makes me understand the purpose and value of orientals in combination with Latakia though so not all is lost.

I'll finish the tin, likely will donate some to a friend who also smokes pipe, but won't miss it.

Reactions: lightmybriar

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I enjoyed this blend years ago before Sykes took over the C&D business so I cannot comment on the current iteration. Back then. I found it to be a flavor powerhouse and enjoyed it enough to stock half a dozen or so tins. I have not revisited in many years and do not currently smoke due to the pandemic and my own personal interest in trying to be as healthy as I can if I do get sick. However, if and when I do take up the hobby again I look forward to trying the blend again. Stay safe everyone,

Reactions: lightmybriar

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Taste is a strange thing, I ended up gifting the tin to a friend, otherwise I'd have tossed it to the compost bin. He said it is the "best Lat blend he's smoked", so not all is lost, I could never get that...other smell out of my head, or nose. I even feel it ghosted my Lat pipes...

Status
Not open for further replies.