PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I bought a tin last week, I just opened today.

For whatever reason, Rattray’s Exotic Passion was in my mind, because it has orange in it, and I’ve smoke that, it’s the only blend at this moment I associate as an Aro with orange.

So I was thinking, hopefully this was going to smell like a similar nice sweet orange Aro too, boy I was wrong.

There are certainly odd/peculiar/funky smelling blends out there, we get it, but a Christmas Aro smelling like plastic, this doesn’t seem right.

It had an extremely intense smell of plastic when I first opened it.

I’m saying plastic because, well, I’m hoping for all the food products you’ve bought in your life, stored in plastic, you’ve smelled the food before inside these plastic bags, and the food starts to smell like it.

Does anyone have any 2022 Jolly Old St Nicholas to describe what you smelled when you first opened the tin?

This, I’m sorry to say, is the worst smelling blend I’ve had to date, really disappointing. I was looking forward to a nice sweet smelling Christmas in this.

Hmm 🤔

P.S. I guess I’m off to go by some Rattray’s. ;)

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I'd probably say a case of misplaced expectations. JOSN is by all accounts, a va/per and you definitely get a mustiness underlying the topping. Also worth noting the topping isn't just orange but orange liqueur and ginger which is going to bring a different type of zip to the orange.

My blind guess is you went into this thinking fruity orange aromatic, when in reality it's a musty sweet va/per with a boozy orange/zinger topping.

Of all my blends, it's my wife's #1 request in the house any time of year.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I certainly understand, but this wasn’t even any of the notes you are also describing.

I guess you could say, regardless of what any aroma anyone was thinking, this wasn’t falling into any of those categories.

It simply smelled like somewhat slightly rotten fruit, soaked in plastic, would be the best way I can describe it.

And judging by the crowd around here, for as long as I’ve been here, I’ve never seen anyone that would take to liking a smell like this, based on what they smoke and they have described as their preferences.

I will say, thankfully the stench has been dissipating, after letting it air out a bit, but if this didn’t have the name C&D on it, people might assume, a load of chemicals in a cheap blend, and I’d throw it in the trash.

Last edited: