PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
Tin is dated 2-02-15. Pipe is Peterson Billiard that's had a lot of OTC Carter Hall and Prince Albert through it for a few weeks.
Components are Virginia, Burley, Latakia, and Perique.
The tin note reminds me of a licorice flavored chewing tobacco I tried 20 years ago. Last night when I opened it the tobacco was a bit moist. I left it in the tin, covered, and tonight it seemed a bit dry, so I've jarred it. I've now smoked 5 bowls and maybe the pipe is settling down. Initially, it tasted like Burley more than anything (like C&D Big 'n' Burley with a twist), but with this bowl now underway, it seems more complex and the Burley isn't as prominent. Better than a straight Burley, certainly,. I haven't tried any Virginias so am unfamiliar with the flavor. I detect the Latakia, but it's subdued. I like this more on the 5th bowl than even the 4th. The fruit topping is slight; this doesn't smoke like an aromatic. No bite. Slightly harsh but not as much as it was at first. There's a minty coolness to it in the mouth. Not a favorite, so will not stock it, but good enough to not complain that I've got it.

P

pipebuddy

Thanks for your review. C & D and GL Pease tobaccos do much better after a year or so of aging. Then they become really good.

I have 2 2oz and 1 8oz of Epiphany. Now that I've read your impressions, I'm itching to open a tin... :lol:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I don't get any grape notes from Epiphany but that's not to say it isn't in there. I smoked a fair amount of Revelation in college in the early 1970's and I found this to be pretty close to the House of Windsor blend.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
Epiphany is a particular favorite of mine - a very satisfying blend. There's certainly a fruit topping that peeks through on occasion, but I don't think it's grape, especially compared to Captain Bob's. It's a very subtle and reminds me of plums or other dark fruit.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I guess a better way describe the "Grape" aroma I get is more of a "Fruit" aroma, but that's only when I open the jar to fill my pipe. What's really more important is how it smokes and concerning that I'm on board with Epiphany.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I find Epiphany a good smoke, mild and dependable. It doesn't have the intricacy of Nat Sherman's 536, or the edge of Dunhill MM 965, nor the punch of Nightcap, but it has a good steady flavor. It is supposed to be a match for Revelation which was said to be Einstein's favorite.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I love me some Epiphany. That one is in my weekly rotation. Lets gets this straight, Capt. Bobs blend doesn't have a grape topping, the topping is what I call "purple". That's anything that is flavored to be grape.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
I should clarify my review by saying there is no licorice flavor to Epiphany. Taking wiffs from the jar today, I wouldn't describe the aroma as licorice. It's a fruity, floral, porty scent. When smoked this blends in with the tobaccos, but definitely adds to the flavor. The more I smoke this, the more I like it. It goes good with coffee.
Is it possible that being aired and moved to a jar would meld the flavors? Today I'm using a Peterson B5 Bent Bulldog, which delivers a wide stream of smoke. I like this pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.