PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Im not sure if its the white burley that I never acquired a taste for or if its the combination if burley and orientals but there's just something about it that doesn't agree with my pallet. Its got a sour, bitter wood sort of thing going on that Im not too sure about.

I do like c&d the vast majority of the time though. I don't think they case their tobaccos as much as some others which gives it a more natural flavor. It might be a little rough around the edges but you know you're smoking something with most of their blends. Some like that, some don't, but as far as Im concerned they're a great brand.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’m enjoying a bowl now, and had a couple in the past week, after leaving it for a while after first trying it. It’s just a really good smoke.

I am not someone who’s a huge fan of most of the C&D burley blends. They’re just a bit too stout for my taste, and always a bit harsh (subjective opinion only, I don’t doubt the quality). But this blend….wow. I keep getting these little wisps of molasses and nutty high notes with none of the stodgy muddiness some burley blends can have. It’s almost delicate. Good work, Jeremy.

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
Im not sure if its the white burley that I never acquired a taste for or if its the combination if burley and orientals but there's just something about it that doesn't agree with my pallet. Its got a sour, bitter wood sort of thing going on that Im not too sure about.

I do like c&d the vast majority of the time though. I don't think they case their tobaccos as much as some others which gives it a more natural flavor. It might be a little rough around the edges but you know you're smoking something with most of their blends. Some like that, some don't, but as far as Im concerned they're a great brand.
I'm right there with you -- mostly. It is almost an every other smoke for me. Today it was sweet (molasses as others have found, so not sickly) with some bitter I'd compare to almonds, and now a few minutes later, I have a dry almost rye taste. But the last time I smoked it, it was harsh and acidic, more like a cigarette. I do think it is a very good blend; it may be one that I'm having the most wide ranging experience with.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm right there with you -- mostly. It is almost an every other smoke for me. Today it was sweet (molasses as others have found, so not sickly) with some bitter I'd compare to almonds, and now a few minutes later, I have a dry almost rye taste. But the last time I smoked it, it was harsh and acidic, more like a cigarette. I do think it is a very good blend; it may be one that I'm having the most wide ranging experience with.

Got to smoke it slow. If you get it hot, you'll get the harsh, ashy cigarette taste.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Not sure why, but I was recently thinking about C&D Eight State Burley. I passed on it as the only blend that I purchased this year was some C&D Sun Bear since I really enjoyed it last year. I had finally decided to go digging for this main thread on Eight State with plans of begging in hopes that somebody might share a sample, then discovered this update and just ordered a tin instead. Thanks!

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Got my tin yesterday and wanted to share my initial impressions...

C&D Eight State Burley starts with subtle cocoa flavor and then the juicy sweetness from the red Virginia comes through. Just a slight hint of Brazil nut (dry, slightly bitter and nutty). There is a little bit more strength to this blend than I'm used to (likely from the burley), but nothing crazy (probably more like medium or less for most people). The first half is really enjoyable. I'm not picking up too much from the Orientals right now and the flavor goes flat and non-descript after the half-way point. Definitely gets ashy if pushed too hard.

I don't smoke too many C&D blends mostly because I have too much other stuff opened right now. However, I do love the C&D Sun Bear and my initial impressions of that blend straight out of the tin on day one were only slightly more favorable than this experience. I wholeheartedly agree with @hoosierpipeguy that C&D blends generally need a week or two to breathe in the tin after being opened. Therefore, I definitely look forward to returning to this blend after at least a week or rest to see how it has opened up. I think that C&D Eight State Burley has more flavors and complexities that are waiting to be discovered and enjoyed!

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy