PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
So I’ve just discovered a love for this tobacco, seems i like the stuff you can never find. I notice a lot being put up for sale here and that it always seems to be the last lots sold, im too new to put up a Wanted to Buy thread, but is there a similar tobacco out there?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! TIA

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I think you only need 100 posts to put up an ad.
I haven't tried this blend but I heard that Low Country Edisto is similar.

Reactions: AJL67

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Didn’t know if i missed it or not this year.
Carolina Red Flake usually comes out sometime in the fall if I'm not mistaken.

If you're a red virginia fan with a penchant for the limted I'd also recommend keeping an eye out for the releases of Watch City Cigar's Simply Red in July, their Rougaroux in October and Sutliff's Cringle Flake in late November.

And if you can stomach spending $80-120 on 100g of secondhand tobacco you can also commonly find old tins of McClellands Christmas Cheer or 40th Anniversary.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Carolina Red Flake usually comes out sometime in the fall if I'm not mistaken.

If you're a red virginia fan with a penchant for the limted I'd also recommend keeping an eye out for the releases of Watch City Cigar's Simply Red in July, their Rougaroux in October and Sutliff's Cringle Flake in late November.

And if you can stomach spending $80-120 on 100g of secondhand tobacco you can also commonly find old tins of McClellands Christmas Cheer or 40th Anniversary.
Thanks for the info and dates, I actually have a couple tins of Christmas Cheer from 06 and 07 and some later, but to be honest they just don't do it for me so I have them stashed away. I should say I like them but there are things I like more that comes at a more reasonable price.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Thanks for the info and dates, I actually have a couple tins of Christmas Cheer from 06 and 07 and some later, but to be honest they just don't do it for me so I have them stashed away. I should say I like them but there are things I like more that comes at a more reasonable price.

If you're specifically after the experience offered by Cornell & Diehl Red Virginia, there's nothing quite like it as far as I've tried.

I do much prefer the deeper, sweeter Red Virginias such as those used by McClelland and don't generally prefer the vegetal, woody nature of those used by C&D. That said, C&D Bijou has the same leaf, and comes alongside a generous helping of fine Oriental tobacco. For me, this is a much better use of the C&D Red VA. I cellar those tins actively, but haven't had a bowl of the Small Batch Red VA that blew my skirt up.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I think C&D Opening Night is the closest blend. Nothing else I've smoked comes even close.
Picked up a tin of this and a couple other recommendations. Funny people got nuts for Christmas Cheer, I like it but not even close to this Red Flake, I think of it as the pappy van winkle of the pipe world, it's all hype and secondary market driving prices.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Picked up a tin of this and a couple other recommendations. Funny people got nuts for Christmas Cheer, I like it but not even close to this Red Flake, I think of it as the pappy van winkle of the pipe world, it's all hype and secondary market driving prices.
Kewl. I'll trade you 3 tins of C&D Red Flake for each tin of Christmas Cheer you have. I like the Red Flake but prefer mcclelland Virginias.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
it's all hype
It's personal preference. Up until McClelland closed their doors, their fans were often ridiculed for loving the ketchup blends. Once they were gone scalpers and smokers who hadn't tried them swore they were the second coming. I love them myself but would never pay more than retail for them.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I think C&D Opening Night is the closest blend. Nothing else I've smoked comes even close.

Oooh nice, I’m going to have to try a tin. :)

@AJL67 Hey if hoosier doesn’t steal all your Christmas Cheer, LOL, I’ve yet to try it, I’d like to buy tin if you have an extra to spare? Thanks

Sandblast

Might Stick Around
I like the Red Flake but prefer mcclelland Virginias.
Got my big Rossi Canadian loaded with 2022 CRF, courtesy of last month's Pipe Club. Smoked first half, then set pipe down to cool .... pipe wasn't "hot", but purposely looking forward to DGT second half in a little while. Have enough left for another pipe or two & will add a small pinch of C & D Perique, thinking this "homemade VaPer" should be good.

Have Blackjack, McConnell Red VA, Opening Night, 40th Anniversary (two versions), Virginia Woods all in the cellar, plus one last tin of '06 Christmas Cheer. They're all waiting. Enjoyed Hoosier's comment! I'm still swooning over 5100 & 2015 and have both also in the cellar .... not a huge amount, but enough to sip & savor. : )