PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Another question. I rubbed out AND dried all the flakes immediately. Will it still develop good flavor? Or should I have left them in the jar for awhile? And/or dried them without rubbing them out? What would be the optimal way to prepare this stuff if I we're going to smoke it and not age it?

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Another question. I rubbed out AND dried all the flakes immediately. Will it still develop good flavor? Or should I have left them in the jar for awhile? And/or dried them without rubbing them out? What would be the optimal way to prepare this stuff if I we're going to smoke it and not age it?
Personally (and I know people do it differently), I take it out of the tin and put it in my pipe, I don't worry with all the prep work, but that's just me...I've never been that picky.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Effortless, I am a burley guy first, and then enjoy a lot of other genres besides. I think moving from burley to Virginia blends always takes some re-tuning because the Virginias are much quieter, more subtle, and nuanced. I like both burley and Virginia, but I am alert to the change from one to the other. When I get back to burley, I feel I am back home.

jei64822

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2020

It was the right moisture for me right out of the tin, so I jarred it as is. It also depends on personal preference--some people like to dry all their blends to a crisp.

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Effortless, I am a burley guy first, and then enjoy a lot of other genres besides. I think moving from burley to Virginia blends always takes some re-tuning because the Virginias are much quieter, more subtle, and nuanced. I like both burley and Virginia, but I am alert to the change from one to the other. When I get back to burley, I feel I am back home.
I know what you mean, I've gone back and forth and at first VAs seem bland, so I usually don't smoke for a few days to allow my palate to reset. This is the first time I've tried to reset to plain, unadulterated VAs however. I figured I would smoke just them for a few weeks. However, I am placing an order today, and I do want to line up some new Burley blends for after my VA run. What would you suggest, being a Burley maestro yourself? I've greatly enjoyed C&D Burley Flakes #1, #2, #3 (haven't tried the others), C&D Big n' Burley, OJK original, D&R Picayune and Two Timer, Semois, Five Brothers, and have custom blended some decent Burley blends using C&D burleys. I am not closed to more flavored blends, with H&H Classic Burley Kake being a bit too flavored for me (though I do still enjoy it during the holidays around family for their benefit). What would you suggest?

Reactions: logs

Pipenwheels

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2020
Ohio
I have enjoyed the 2020 batch have already smoked a tin and a half of it. Definitely let it breathe a little but I find C&D moisture to be perfect for me. Just got some 2018 batch and it is amazing. Popped tin and it smelled almost like sunbear to me, non-smokers said it smelled like fig newtons and fruitcake. The 2020 doesnt have that smell....yet, but I imagine it will in 2 years. Also, bit more nicotine to the 2020 which is just fine with me. It is my first pipe every morning, which I may need to ease up seeing as my supply is somewhat limited.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
So I finally bought a tin of said tobacco, and of course it is the 2020 September harvest with 8% sugar content. My wife and I both packed bowls in good flake pipes and lit up, and we're a little surprised by it's blandness after all the hype. Now, just to preface, we were expecting this to an extent, because I'm assuming that it needs to age and breathe. My question is how long before it actually develops and starts to taste as good as people say it does?
Welcome to the club. C&D red Virginias are my least favorite out of all I have tried. I just don’t get what others see in them, I find them so harsh and unpleasant. But I continue to revisit every couple months to see if eventually I enjoy them.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Welcome to the club. C&D red Virginias are my least favorite out of all I have tried. I just don’t get what others see in them, I find them so harsh and unpleasant. But I continue to revisit every couple months to see if eventually I enjoy them.
it seems to hit some people like that. Just seems to be how it is for whatever reason or reasons.

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I'm a Burley smoker mostly, but I am currently
I am a Burley smoker mostly, and I've noticed that if I switch to a red VA right after being in Burley land it tastes the way you said, and just taste like nothing if it's a regular VA blend. But I'm currently on an all VA kick, and the flavors are definitely becoming much more apparent, including the CRF, though I can definitely tell that it's mostly because it needs more time to age. It's hard to smoke burleys and Virginias alongside each other.

Pipenwheels

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2020
Ohio
@ram74 I get it. I bought the red carolina with perique back in february and hated at the time. For me, I needed to adjust my smoking style and try other pipes. I'm not saying that is why you do not like. I think it's an individual thing. I tried watch city simply red when I received a sample and my first impressions are not good. Number 1 is the chemistry of my mouth doesnt seem to like it as it flirts with being bitey with me. Then one of the main flavors for me, tastes like just after you lick an envelope to seal it. Now others on this site speak very highly of it.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
They're nowhere near the best Red VA I've tried, but I like the C&D for it's vegetal nature. Overtly sweet VA are the ones that can burn my tongue if I'm not careful.

I will say (I know there will be a run anyway if it gets released again) the CRF with Perique is utterly amazing. Same VA, but the Perique gives it a whole new character. Again, the vegetal nature of the VA, but the plummy perique elevates it to "cellar hard" status.

Last edited:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'll admit I've been spoiled by McClelland when it comes to matured Red Virginia. That level of tang and funkiness hasn't been reached by anyone else, and will not likely be seen again. McClelland's methodology between selection and processing is gone for good. I'm damned happy I stocked up.
CRF doesn't come close, but it's a pretty good effort and fine in its own right. Byronic Slices also has a whisper of that full throated McClelland profile. But I don't always need all that funk, so Simply Red does a good job when I want to have some red without hitting my McClelland or McCranie's stash.

Same here. I miss McClelland, but at the same time I feel like I've been able to appreciate other styles of VA more than I had before.

I admit being initially disappointed by the 2020 CRF because I was hoping for something approaching McClelland levels of sweetness and fruitiness. That's just not in the cards. But if you smoke CRF carefully, it's a really nice, subtle, spicy expression of red VA. The flavors are very clean and pure - they just don't smack you in the mouth the way McClelland VAs do.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
"The flavors are very clean and pure - they just don't smack you in the mouth the way McClelland VAs do."

OK, I'm smoking some right now, really slowly, and I'm getting a little bit of a smack (spice and earthiness).

Reactions: bnichols23

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I agree. I thought there was something wrong with my tin or my taste buds. Very bland and not that special at all (which in my opinion is quite common with special editions and one-time-only blends)

Status
Not open for further replies.