PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I've been enjoying C&D Burley Flake #1. I never tried any of the others (Burley Flake #2,3,4,5). I looked them up on Tobacco Reviews and noticed that #3 lists the same ingredients as #1 -- burley, kentucky, perique, virginia. #2 and #5 also list the same ingredients -- burley, kentucky, virginia. #4 stands alone with burley, kentucky, latakia and virginia. I suppose the two matching pairs (1 and 3, 2 and 5) are probably just a matter of proportions. I was originally just going to ask about impressions between the #1 and #3 (the perique ones) but now that I've looked them all up, I'm curious about the differences between #2 and #5 as well. So, how about reducing it to "what are folks impressions about _any_ of the C&D Burley Flakes, especially in comparison with each other. As it stands now, I very much like #1.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I've been enjoying C&D Burley Flake #1. I never tried any of the others (Burley Flake #2,3,4,5). I looked them up on Tobacco Reviews and noticed that #3 lists the same ingredients as #1 -- burley, kentucky, perique, virginia. #2 and #5 also list the same ingredients -- burley, kentucky, virginia. #4 stands alone with burley, kentucky, latakia and virginia. I suppose the two matching pairs (1 and 3, 2 and 5) are probably just a matter of proportions. I was originally just going to ask about impressions between the #1 and #3 (the perique ones) but now that I've looked them all up, I'm curious about the differences between #2 and #5 as well. So, how about reducing it to "what are folks impressions about _any_ of the C&D Burley Flakes, especially in comparison with each other. As it stands now, I very much like #1.
The primary difference between 1 and 3 is that 3 has DFK. 1 does not. Also, 5 has DFK, while 2 does not. 5 also has a very light topping, maybe maple or something generic - it's quite good actually. However, 5 is missing the perique, which throws me off sometimes. 2 is just a VaBur, and has its own charm. Somehow, removing the perique, DFK and Bright Va allow you to simply taste the amazing two-tone duo of C&D's flavorful Burleys, the white and dark.

As far as 1 and 3, 3 is stronger in my opinion because it has the DFK, and it seems to hit me harder. Plus the proportions of Burley to Perique to Va are different in 3, I think there is actually more perique. But 1 is close to my heart. It was love at first puff, and what made me understand that I was a burleyphile. It's just pure Burley goodness with enough red Va to keep it sweet and enough Perique to strengthen it.

1 and 3 are my favs, but I liked the one tin of 2 I bought a few years back. I like 5 as well, when I want something slightly aromatic but still with that C&D Burley flavor that you either love it hate.

I have never tried 4, as I am not into lats very much. But.... I did just take a foray into Englishes and now keep one in my rotation as the last smoke of the day. Looks like I'll need to finally try number 4! In fact, I don't know why I didn't think of it before! A C&D Burley based English!

Pardon me while I run off to satisfy my TAD.

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Man.... Now I have to fire up a bowl of BF1. I was gonna go VaPers tonight, oh well. Might as well accept who I am lol.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
The primary difference between 1 and 3 is that 3 has DFK. 1 does not. Also, 5 has DFK, while 2 does not. 5 also has a very light topping, maybe maple or something generic - it's quite good actually. However, 5 is missing the perique, which throws me off sometimes. 2 is just a VaBur, and has its own charm. Somehow, removing the perique, DFK and Bright Va allow you to simply taste the amazing two-tone duo of C&D's flavorful Burleys, the white and dark.

As far as 1 and 3, 3 is stronger in my opinion because it has the DFK, and it seems to hit me harder. Plus the proportions of Burley to Perique to Va are different in 3, I think there is actually more perique. But 1 is close to my heart. It was love at first puff, and what made me understand that I was a burleyphile. It's just pure Burley goodness with enough red Va to keep it sweet and enough Perique to strengthen it.

1 and 3 are my favs, but I liked the one tin of 2 I bought a few years back. I like 5 as well, when I want something slightly aromatic but still with that C&D Burley flavor that you either love it hate.

I have never tried 4, as I am not into lats very much. But.... I did just take a foray into Englishes and now keep one in my rotation as the last smoke of the day. Looks like I'll need to finally try number 4! In fact, I don't know why I didn't think of it before! A C&D Burley based English!

Pardon me while I run off to satisfy my TAD.
Wow thanks a lot! Exactly the kind of info I was looking for!

northernpipeshed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2017
Smoked quite a bit of 1 & 3.......I find 1 has more Nic .....and it puts me off a bit...sometimes. I find 3 has a little more spice and if smoked without age is very slightly rougher (although both are pretty smooth). With a few years the DFK comes into its own and provides a wonderful, quite full bodied smooth smoke.

Never tried 4 or 5.....Had a tin of 2 but it was mouldy on opening !

Reactions: Effortlessdepths

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Wow thanks a lot! Exactly the kind of info I was looking for!
I am a C&D Burley devotee. Beware though, they can get ashy if pushed. Sometimes I can really get a bowl puffing with no ashiness, and the flavor explosion is delightful, but if you press it sometimes it can ruin the next couple layers of the bowl. And it will not taste good that way, trust me. This is a well known downside to their burleys. But everything has a downside, it's all about being aware of it and working around it.

northernpipeshed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2017
I am a C&D Burley devotee. Beware though, they can get ashy if pushed. Sometimes I can really get a bowl puffing with no ashiness, and the flavor explosion is delightful, but if you press it sometimes it can ruin the next couple layers of the bowl. And it will not taste good that way, trust me. This is a well known downside to their burleys. But everything has a downside, it's all about being aware of it and working around it.
Good info for the OP this. I also smoke predominantly C&D Burley blends.......the ash thing "can" be a problem. I sometimes give the fine ash a little tap out then relight....but this requires a bit of practice..........and don't try it with a gravity filled cube cut.....lol

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I’ve only experienced Pegasus, Haunted Bookshop and Big n Burley. I enjoy Pegasus most. —- I’m responding because, smoked as as I normally do, all flavor vanishes and it’s as if smoking air. Not even a bad flavor, no flavor. Completely flavorless. I’m not a fast smoker.

So my question is in regard to the ashiness problem cited multiple times in this thread. Define pushing it? It seems to me that no matter how slowly smoked, the flavor vanishes. Actually, even the retro tingle gives way to nothing but warm air.

I’ve not tried any C&D Flakes. Should I?

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I’ve only experienced Pegasus, Haunted Bookshop and Big n Burley. I enjoy Pegasus most. —- I’m responding because, smoked as as I normally do, all flavor vanishes and it’s as if smoking air. Not even a bad flavor, no flavor. Completely flavorless. I’m not a fast smoker.

So my question is in regard to the ashiness problem cited multiple times in this thread. Define pushing it? It seems to me that no matter how slowly smoked, the flavor vanishes. Actually, even the retro tingle gives way to nothing but warm air.

I’ve not tried any C&D Flakes. Should I?
I'm not sure I fully understand what you're asking, but when I say push it I mean that when you increase your cadence a lot and really puff, the flavor can be amazing and sublime, but that sometimes it isn't - sometimes it takes that ashy turn. I think I've noticed it happen also when I put too much flame to the bowl once I'm doing a relight when the bowl is past the halfway point.

Don't let any of this turn you away though, the Burley Flakes from C&D are excellent. I recommend all of them, though I can't speak for #4 as I haven't tried it yet.

Reactions: Grangerous

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I'm not sure I fully understand what you're asking, but when I say push it I mean that when you increase your cadence a lot and really puff, the flavor can be amazing and sublime, but that sometimes it isn't - sometimes it takes that ashy turn. I think I've noticed it happen also when I put too much flame to the bowl once I'm doing a relight when the bowl is past the halfway point.

Don't let any of this turn you away though, the Burley Flakes from C&D are excellent. I recommend all of them, though I can't speak for #4 as I haven't tried it yet.
Thanks. This thread made me give Pegasus a run this morning and post my thoughts.

—- Its Haunted Bookshop that loses its flavor for me. I’ve always enjoyed Pegasus. I plan to order more and I will try the Flakes.