PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Briar Fox is one of my staples. A nice enjoyable blend. No toppings or casings, just good natural tobacco flavor. Has a nice bit of nicotine, at least to my tastes. A very easy blend to work with, it packs, lights and burns easily. Nothing fancy here, just a good dependable smoke that can be had for an affordable price.

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
Relative noob here but BriarFox is a simple, clean, easy to pack, subtly complex tobacco that burns without fuss. I get a light earthy flavor with a touch of natural sweetness, I swear I pick up a little clove from the burley and an occasional wisp of vanilla like sweetness. There’s enough nicotine to satisfy, I’d say medium to strong. It also has a really clean finish.

It has a flavor transition mid bowl where the spice kicks in. I’ve only smoked two tins relatively fresh and I’m working my way through a thirteen year old tin right now.

If you like natural tobacco flavors with no topping I’d try it. I love it. A faithful, dependable, low maintenance friend with enough depth of character to be interesting.

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
Briar Fox has been hit or miss for me. If the moon is right and I pack it just perfectly and smoke it slower than slow, it's delicious. If I don't do everything "perfect" it veers into extremely earthy cigar territory which isn't necessarily my favorite thing. This thread reminded me that have about half a cake jarred up with a few years on it. I'll have to give it another shot.

Reactions: Steddy

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
It’s a little on the boring side for me. I wish it were just a touch more Virginia forward. I finished out my tin by mixing in some stoved Virginia; I thought the added sweetness opened it up. Alternatively, I’d have some bourbon with it, which kinda did the same thing.

Obviously, this is all subjective and everyone has his own taste

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've heard mostly good reviews on Briar Fox. I received a sample years ago. Maybe it had just come out. That version was a little bland for me. It was a small plug in a baggy, if I remember, and it may just not have been the best sample, by chance. Most think it is very good.

Sep 18, 2015
It’s been a few years,, I don’t remember it as being very flavorful until the final third of a bowl, I also don’t remember it having any noticeable nicotine at all. I did like the taste from the bottom of the bowl, pretty sure I’ve still got a couple of jars,, I might need to revisit it.