PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Just read that Nat Sherman is closing at end of september. Sounds like not only their townhouse store on 42nd but the end of their tobacco and premium cigars as well. Just ordered a bunch of tins of 536 - its one of my favorite tobaccos. And a box of timeless prestige cigars.
Now only one place to buy pipes in manhattan - barclay rex downtown and I would be surprises if they survive long term.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oh, horrible horrible. Oh the humanity! Tell me it isn't so. I sat in the rocking chair outside the humidor and puffed on my Nat Sherman 536 bought in bulk. Now it will be just a geezer's memory. I have a tin of their 536, to go along with my McClelland and my discontinued Dunhill. What a downer.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I know the times are singular, but Manhattan real estate is killing everything. Greenwich Village used to be a center for artists, performers, and bohemian night life, and now it is owned by hedge fund people who don't live there. The tourists still go, but they don't know what they're looking at. My wife lived there for decades in the good old days.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
NYC is a mess. People with means are fleeing -- either to their second homes or looking for and buying homes outside the city. Remote working is here to stay. That, combined with the pandemic and increased crime and lawlessness and demoralized police (thanks De Blasio!) spells the end of NYC as we knew it for a long time, maybe forever. Empty storefronts are everywhere. Small businesses disappearing, large retail bankruptcies and large commercial tenants shrinking or moving out of the city altogether. With no indoor dining, no Broadway shows etc, why live here? Leading to dramatically reduced tax base, slashed budgets -- you get the idea.

Jun 9, 2018
England
NYC is a mess. People with means are fleeing -- either to their second homes or looking for and buying homes outside the city. Remote working is here to stay. That, combined with the pandemic and increased crime and lawlessness and demoralized police (thanks De Blasio!) spells the end of NYC as we knew it for a long time, maybe forever. Empty storefronts are everywhere. Small businesses disappearing, large retail bankruptcies and large commercial tenants shrinking or moving out of the city altogether. With no indoor dining, no Broadway shows etc, why live here? Leading to dramatically reduced tax base, slashed budgets -- you get the idea.

New York was a crime ridden bankrupt mess in the 1970's and bounced back. Maybe it can do it again?

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
New York was a crime ridden bankrupt mess in the 1970's and bounced back. Maybe it can do it again?
Not as long as the progressives are in control. Dinkins, De Blasio vs Guiliani and Bloomberg? Under whose leadership did NYC thrive? But even with better leadership, this time I think the increasing move to remote work will truly alter NY permanently.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My head is still spinning about Nat Sherman. I only went there once, but it was a pilgrimage. It has a huge clock above the door that makes it a sort of landmark on 42nd Street, not just another storefront. Cliff Gold there, the Lead Sales Associate, waited on me and he is a consummate pro. I hope he happily retired before this sad news. I have Cliff Gold's card embellished with a graphic of the clock over the door, and the emblem, "Since1930." I dread to think what will take its place -- a cell phone store probably. You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I passed by their store probably 1000 times -- first when they were on 5th and then their newer location on 42nd. Only stopped in a handful of times -- wasn't a pipe or cigar smoker until relatively recently. I picked up a pack of high end cigarettes a couple of times a long time ago when i was an occasional social cigarette smoker. Most recently bought some 536 in bulk (at $5 an ounce). Had a very nice interaction with the guy behind the counter. It is a shame but I can see how changing consumer tastes, anti-smoking, and recent events put them under. Also Altria, which owns Nat Sherman, said that the premium cigar business doesn't mesh with their core business.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
A lifelong favorite, even if only occasionally visited, but I too am sad to see it go.

However, even without COVID or any of the myriad other challenges to the city's "soul,"--which seems always under assault-- the fact is beloved landmark businesses in every sector have closed often and abruptly for decades. To some minds, I suppose, simply part of the city's survival of the fittest nature.

My father--a fan of the great department stores in their golden era--mourned the loss of Tripler and De Pinna, and equally the closing of Rumplemeyers as a reliable source of hot chocolate apres iceskating in Central Park. I miss Rizzoli's all night bookshop housed in a palace at 712 Fifth Avenue (before the rise of Amazon), the tiny dining room reserved for smokers at Cafe des Artistes, and the Oak Room at the Plaza Hotel. And I have a friend who's just published quite a good book about the heyday of the sprawling Chelsea Antiques market (before the advent of Ebay).

As for the radioactive subject of city politics--of which I shall steer well clear, except to note that it was Michael Bloomberg who made smoking public enemy number one in New York--relentlessly raising retail taxes on cigarettes to triple their price overnight, and then taking dead aim at making smoking unlawful in bars, restaurants, parks, offices, and shops--even those that sold tobacco products. And for Greenwich Village, NYU flush with cash went on a wild buying spree to buy every available building and property parcel. And before NYU, it was Robert Moses in a David and Goliath fight with Jane Jacobs. Ironically, maybe the best thing that ever happened to the west village was the collapse of a large section of the West Side Highway--which resulted in an uninterrupted ribbon of park now extending from the Battery north to the tip of Manhattan.

New York, in my experience, adapts and survives. And a creative community of some kind finds new neighborhoods to colonize, revive, and transform (in ways that can be distinguished from "gentrification"--even if this often comes later).

At the beginning of the aughts, it was the East River waterfront of Brooklyn--Williamsburg and DUMBO. Later Bed-Stuy and Bushwick, and the jury's still out (as the jury always is, except in retrospect) about what next hot cool with-it zone will emerge or be another also ran. The South Bronx? Lord knows, Long Island City and Washington Heights have been earnestly trying the past decade.

As for tobacconists, even if only now a franchise, I was delighted when Davidoff opened a cosy Williamsburg location next to Peter Luger's steakhouse a couple of years ago. And no, they didn't get a shipment of Esoterica this weekend. But they did answer cheerfully their phone, and sounded very much open for business.

Last edited:

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
I know the times are singular, but Manhattan real estate is killing everything. Greenwich Village used to be a center for artists, performers, and bohemian night life, and now it is owned by hedge fund people who don't live there. The tourists still go, but they don't know what they're looking at. My wife lived there for decades in the good old days.
Gentrification. Unfortunately it seems to happen everywhere.

Reactions: ofafeather

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Nobody buys shit from stores anymore.

I suspect that over the next few decades, the memory of many storefronts will become about as quaint as the present-day memory of ordering out of the old Sears & Roebuck catalogs through the early 1900's. Oddly enough, buying from Amazon and eBay is much more similar to buying out of the old Sears catalogs rather than shopping at a store.

Of course exceptions will be made. I live in the rural Midwest as many here know, and I'm pretty sure Tractor Supply isn't going anywhere.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
That makes you think.. Mail order goods have been around forever. Why is the boom now?

My answer is "the internet." Instead of browsing through paper catalogs and ordering by mail or by phone, you can pull up a searchable database of consumer goods and order at will any time on a computer or smart phone and buy them with a few clicks of the mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.