PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hey All. I am just thinking about how much I enjoy restoring estate pipes. I guess I can afford new, or even artisan pipes, but I really like rescuing used ones - especially everyman pipes. I know part of my motivation is that I am cheap, but mostly I like the whole idea of it. Seems like I am extending a lost day a little while longer...

Anybody else feel that way?

I'm glad the hobby is big enough for all kinds of pipers - and so is this forum.
I've been planning on trying it soon. Get a crapped up pipe that I don't care about and try to make it back into the wonderful pipe it could be. Mainly to give my self insurance about my current pipes (if that makes sense).

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I buy used pipes from time to time because I am cheap and always get a little voice in my head saying "Instead of 150-200 on a new pipe give 20 and spend the rest on tobacco".

I'm quite close to talking to a couple of local artisans though and commission a pipe, as a key issue I have is that factory shapes and sizes are rarely exactly what I'd like to have. There is the voice in my head again right now asking "do you know how much 300-400 euros of tobacco is?". Yeah now I realise I was "close" to talking to Kyriazanos last summer (Greek carver, love his work because it's traditional and not gimmicky at all) but in the end bought more tobacco :D

@workman totally with you on acrylic by the way, I know a lot here consider it an inferior material but I like the look, the feel and the fact it stays clean on its own.

@sablebrush52 that's beautiful! I got one capped pipe, and never smoke it with the cap on as it gets oily and manky and is a bother to clean. Can't have my pie and eat it too clearly.
I prefer acrylic. Reminds me I might need to get a replacement stem for a pipe cause I am not really a fan of the vulcanite on my one pipe. (still want to keep the stem but would like one that doesn't oxidize and isn't so annoyingly soft.

Reactions: carolinasmokes

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I buy an estate pipe, I make sure it is pristine and I try to buy only from guys I know who clean their pipes that I know are cleaned properly. Over the years I have learned who these guys are. Lately I have been buying mostly new pipes as prices are similar to an estate pipe. Years ago I learned whp the good estate guys are from ebay and I only bought from them. I don't clean pipes. I have no equipment to clean pipes. The last half dozen or so estate pipes I have purchased are from guys who I know only sell pristine pipes. I trust them and they are honest guys. The one thing I tell my guys is that if they smell like latakia or Lakeland tell me up front or the pipe will be going back to them. I also only buy pipes that are practically brand new. I have been very happy with my latest purchases.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've never had an interest in used pipes. I simply do not have the time to clean up after others. I'm not a collector nor do I feel the need to amass pipes simply to amass pipes. Neither would I purchase a pipe "unfondled" so, I only browse pipes in person, scanning displays until one holds my eye. Sometimes none of them do and I walk out, credit card unmolested.

That said, I often admire the work shown here of restorations. There are some talented and patient members on this site.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
While I bought new pipes, I used to also focus on estates given that the cost 50% less. I could comparison shop for $300.00 that would cost $600.00 new, and thus buy pipes far above my price range.

Reactions: OzPiper

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Given a choice, I usually prefer Vulcanite, but acrylic is fine, especially if the pipe is light weight. I've noticed the last two pipes I've bought have been listed as having Vulcanite stems and then shown up with easily identifiable acrylic. I presume this is because neophytes are given the assignment of writing specs and don't know the difference. I haven't complained, but if it is important to you, I'd call the online retailer to verify before ordering, citing my problem if necessary. This involved a Ropp and a Johs.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

DangerStranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
I like old Britwood, so the bulk of my pile consists of estates between 70 and 140 years old. I do enjoy the process of cleaning up an old pipe and putting it back to work.

From this:

qu0JQs1.jpg

To this:

W9I9CK1.jpg
That turned out amazing! Nice work!

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I enjoy restoring used pipes. While restoring I’m able to let my mind wander around. Who was the previous owner, what were they like, how did they live, what type of impact did they leave on the next generation.

While restoring I develop a connection to each pipe, and I feel if I can’t make it right I won’t attempt it yet. I don’t feel as if I made the pipe, but brought it back to life. While working on some you feel a connection, this person was a clencher, this person held the pipe mostly, this person used their pipe as a tool (no cleaning just let the cake build till it broke).

Some folks don’t look at pipes as others do. If you just smoke it till it breaks that will give someone else something to work on, but you enjoyed it. If you care for it, it will last you years and can be passed on. My pipes are part of something I’ll leave my kids. It will be a passion that I pass on to them, my son and daughter have already developed that drive. She enjoys the Victorian era style and hand sews her own stuff. They both enjoy coming out to my work area and making things with wood.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you're war of estate pipes, you might try SP. They have clear descriptions of the pipes including flaws, and they have cleaned them up nicely. Do your own extra sanitizing, but they come quite clean. You are most likely to get a pipe you will want to smoke, and they are good about customer service if you don't. Other sources, simply be prepared to do some work restoring the pipe, and some places, beware of pipes that are truly ruined.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
If you're war of estate pipes, you might try SP. They have clear descriptions of the pipes including flaws, and they have cleaned them up nicely. Do your own extra sanitizing, but they come quite clean. You are most likely to get a pipe you will want to smoke, and they are good about customer service if you don't. Other sources, simply be prepared to do some work restoring the pipe, and some places, beware of pipes that are truly ruined.
Other sources are Blue Room Briars and Mkelaw Pipes from personal experience. Other Forums members have mentioned PipeStud and Marty Pulvers as sources of good used pipes. Also The Danish Pipe Shop and The Estate Pipe Shop (in the UK) for those in the EU.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Ahi Ka
Status
Not open for further replies.