PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry144

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2021
Hey All. I am just thinking about how much I enjoy restoring estate pipes. I guess I can afford new, or even artisan pipes, but I really like rescuing used ones - especially everyman pipes. I know part of my motivation is that I am cheap, but mostly I like the whole idea of it. Seems like I am extending a lost day a little while longer...

Anybody else feel that way?

I'm glad the hobby is big enough for all kinds of pipers - and so is this forum.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Buying, cleaning and smoking estate pipes was almost as much of a 'disorder' for me as were tobacco blends.
Once I found myself amongst upwards from 90 pipes, I stopped that insanity, but, I feel as if I've had an education and it impresses the rare visitor to see a lot of them on display.
I tend to smoke the 'beaters' in the group and even old cobs. I have yet to smoke a bowl from an unsmoked briar, although I 'won' a few of those too in my thrill of the hunt for bargain rate pipes and the silly idea that I could re-sell at a profit or break even if I ever wanted....I have yet to test that theory, ha ha.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Some of my most relaxing, and then rewarding hours, were spent browsing through all the various estate pipes that are offered for sale, and then restoring them to their former glory. Some of my best smoking pipes are my restored estate pipes. My workbench.... is the kitchen table, and my tools are simple. No robots can do and feel what human hands can do. My "motorized" arm does the sanding, buffing, and polishing. For cake removal and "reaming", scratch-removal, stem work, etc.... I use sandpaper with various coarse-fine grits. You will be surprised at what one can do with simple tools, some elbow grease, and motivation. If you decide to restore....buy some ultra-fine sandpaper.....600, 1000, 2500, 5000, grit. Well stocked Auto Supply stores sell these ultra-fine grits in the Paint Dept, or, order online. I use some oil (Olive Oil) as a lube when using fine-grit sandpaper to polish the briar, and the stem. Start at 600, and work your way up thru the finer grits.

So, turn on, tune in, and drop out, from this stinking, stressful life, and spend some good, alone-time, restoring someone else's pre-owned, treasure.

Have fun.

C

carolinasmokes

Not at all. I hate restoring and I detest oxidizing vulcanite.
I prefer to purchase new, reasonably priced (because I am not a millionaire) pipes of reliable brands like Stanwell or Savinelli.
Acrylic stems are a must.
I agree workman, buying a used pipe has never really crossed my mind and vulcanite stems suck, I learned that early on, and acrylic stems are my choice also, but there's nothing I like better than breaking in a new briar pipe.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
I'm with my brother on this. I've purchased two new pipes and given them away. They were beautiful, even if not expensive, but did nothing much for me. Oh, and I guess my cob was also bought new, so that makes three, but I don't care much for the cob either.

My estates though, I love refurbishing and smoking them.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
While I do buy new pipes, I find the ones that resonate most with me are the old classic brands (British) and shapes (Bulldogs, billiards, cuttys/Belges, apples, pots & Prince of Wales). I love the idea of giving a new lease of life to an old, obviously cherished object.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Hey All. I am just thinking about how much I enjoy restoring estate pipes. I guess I can afford new, or even artisan pipes, but I really like rescuing used ones - especially everyman pipes. I know part of my motivation is that I am cheap, but mostly I like the whole idea of it. Seems like I am extending a lost day a little while longer...

Anybody else feel that way?

I'm glad the hobby is big enough for all kinds of pipers - and so is this forum.

I'm a huge fan of recycle/repurpose/reuse. I used to only buy new pipes until many years ago when internet pipe forums taught me about restoring estate pipes. I've had lots of fun restoring/repurposing estate pipes. Doing so has added many wonderful pipes to my humble collection plus satisfies that need to recycle/repurpose/reuse.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I've done plenty of both. My purchases the last couple of years have mostly been new artisan. Given the prices on eBay for the estate market, doesn't make much sense to buy estate right now.

Yes, they have gotten a bit pricey in the last several years. When I used to bid on lots I wouldn’t go more than $5/pipe, and I still ended up with some nice pipes.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I'm not one for restoring old pipes I see them all the time and just pass them by. they're probably a great bang for your buck if you know what you're doing but in my case I'm not going to venture with them. Old briar is fantastic and comes with a great story of times gone by. An old Comoy's for $150 has more value to me vs a savanelli or Peterson's that was purchased off the shelf for 90$+.

There are definitely some deals to be made if you can find one in your price point and stick to it on the used market.

Artisan pipes are wonderful smokers but they too can be found on the used market for decent pricing vs new.

I'm not a fan of acrylic stems I'll take a nice soft vulcanite stem that may oxidize and add to the character of the pipe which can be cleaned up and restored but always has a better feel than the plastic shiny acrylic, to me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Estate pipes give you a lot broader range of possibilities in terms of price and styles over time. They usually require some added work to bring them up to your own standards, so if this is part of the pleasure, it's an easy decision. New pipes allow you to take a pipe and have its wear and patina be entirely your own doing, so that your smoking it are formative in the pipe's characteristics. After a while, a pipe you buy new becomes an estate pipe in terms of being well broken in. I have both, but the ones bought new substantially outnumber the estate pipes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I like old Britwood, so the bulk of my pile consists of estates between 70 and 140 years old. I do enjoy the process of cleaning up an old pipe and putting it back to work.

From this:

qu0JQs1.jpg

To this:

W9I9CK1.jpg

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I buy used pipes from time to time because I am cheap and always get a little voice in my head saying "Instead of 150-200 on a new pipe give 20 and spend the rest on tobacco".

I'm quite close to talking to a couple of local artisans though and commission a pipe, as a key issue I have is that factory shapes and sizes are rarely exactly what I'd like to have. There is the voice in my head again right now asking "do you know how much 300-400 euros of tobacco is?". Yeah now I realise I was "close" to talking to Kyriazanos last summer (Greek carver, love his work because it's traditional and not gimmicky at all) but in the end bought more tobacco :D

@workman totally with you on acrylic by the way, I know a lot here consider it an inferior material but I like the look, the feel and the fact it stays clean on its own.

@sablebrush52 that's beautiful! I got one capped pipe, and never smoke it with the cap on as it gets oily and manky and is a bother to clean. Can't have my pie and eat it too clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.