Jan 14, 2020
Considering the tobacco, I found this one
It costs 35 euros. What do you say?
RATTRAY'S WINTER EDITION 2019 (100 G)

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Ah, and another newbie question. Should I buy filters?
I am completely 50/50 on these. I've smoked many times with a filter and didn't know it was in there. I simply can't tell what difference it makes in terms of flavor and draw. If you like the idea of removing whatever it is filters remove from the smoke then by all means use them. If you don't care whatsoever I don't see the need to spend the money on them.

Reactions: diamondback

Axonedge

Lurker
Jan 14, 2020
Thank you. Could you give me some recommendations about tobacco? I used to be an avid cigs smoker for 9 years until I quit 2 years ago. I still enjoy sweet cigars (that's the main reason I wanted to switch to a pipe, to be able to smoke whenever I want something tasty and less harmful).

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Thank you. Could you give me some recommendations about tobacco? I used to be an avid cigs smoker for 9 years until I quit 2 years ago. I still enjoy sweet cigars (that's the main reason I wanted to switch to a pipe, to be able to smoke whenever I want something tasty and less harmful).
What have you tired so far that you enjoyed?

Reactions: diamondback

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Still, you can get lots of proper non toxic Italian Pipe for for 35 bucks

Oh, sure. when smoking an untested Chinese pipe you might grow man boobs with writhing suckered tentacles extending out of them let's see you get THAT image out of your head and your toenails could become retractile like a cat's, but where is everyone's sense of adventure? We are the cutting edge of pipe smoking. We must push the envelope then shred it and smoke it. Or as I like to say, "After you."

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Difficult to give advice there till we know what sources are available to you in Romania, and whether customs regulations allow for importation of Tobacco. Till we know, maybe Estervals?

If you have a sweet tooth, by all means start with an aromatic! (Just not Captain Black or Borkum Riff or other OTC crap, please.) As long as you bear in mind that you're highly unlikely to taste what you smell from the tin and that only the company will perceive (and enjoy) the room note, you'll not be disappointed. Your first smokes are likely to be tasteless, and yes, you might warm up your tongue to some degree. Part of the learning process, unfortunately.

You can also try an English blend which, on the average, tend to burn cooler, but bear in mind that their room note is not likely to be appreciated by the company. Don't try a latakia bomb, please. Don't be deceived about these blends burning 'cooler', though: I've burnt the hell out of my mouth with English blends too.

Learning with an aromatic is like learning to drive a manual transmission, whereas learning with an English is like starting out on an automatic: if you can drive manual, you can drive auto. The converse is not true.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I've always thought that this site was sketchy, but then one day my youngest started getting packages in the mail, lots of them. She was buying purses for $.05, designer looking clothes for less than a dollar, and lots of doodads. And, she was really happy with the stuff, and she was really stretching her dollar, ha ha. I still haven't bought from them, but apparently, it is like Amazon for the rest of the world.
I've bought quite a few knives from them. If you know what to get, you can get some great stuff for cheap. You can also get real junk. Just like China as a whole.

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

What do you think, is it safe to buy this? Given the fact that I am from Romania, the pipe market here, especially for the Churchwarden models, is pretty scarce.

Thank you in advance!

As Ukraine is pretty close to Romania (hello, neighbor!) I'd suggest looking at Трубочный Магазин У Георга - https://trubki.net/ - an old small Ukrainian shop that ships worldwide (but check your customs rules on tobacco first). Highly recommended shop. Ukrainian pipes are also pretty cheap, and Golden Gate pipes are ok
Check this link - pipes for beginners Трубка для новичка. Как выбрать и купить? - https://trubki.net/novichku-trubokuru/trubka-novichka/

They also have bulk tobaccos starting from 25g so you can try different blends, though it would be cheaper to buy in bigger quantity directly from US, though, but need to compare shipping prices - shipping from Ukraine usually is really cheap, shipping from USA is not:) And again, check customs rules (in Ukraine I'm allowed to order not more than 200g of tobacco, for example).

PS not affiliated with the shop in any way, just bought myself an assortment of different bulk tobaccos from the shop, and I remember it from when I started smoking pipes 10 years ago, also recommended by my friend and local pipe club.

Status
Not open for further replies.