PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I know lots of folks will recommend a cob as a first try. And I think for very good reasons not least price. But they are just so easy to get along with and usually easy to find local.
I have several and enjoy them they really are a great choice for most of us.
I don't think I have ever smoked a bad cob, I wish I could say that about every pipe I have.

That is another reason why they are a good first pipe, you have something to compare with. If you decide to try something different you have some kind of bench mark. IMO it takes a pretty good pipe to smoke better than a cob.

Some people won't be seen smoking one, that's fine. We all like what we like.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
What am I missing here? LOL puffy

Danish made Stanwell Unsmoked taken from the competition for the Danish Pipe club, for the Danish/International Pipe Competition.

What’s not to love here, a pipe with history from several things, and only $74 USD ahhhhh.... :eek:

Ok now that I let the cat out of the bag, don’t everyone go buy one, you better save me one! LOL rotf

I better run while I still got a chance! ?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Too much kibitzing is distraction, but I'd be inclined to recommend a pipe made without a filter for starters, to simplify the experience, although a Dr. Grabow smoked without the filter might do as well. Starting out, it helps to know how things taste in their unfiltered state, sticking with mild blends if necessary.

An aside: Maybe Maggie smoked Churchill sized cigars in privacy.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Jan 27, 2020
I would also recommend a new Molina. You can find one for around $50, even on Amazon, although I avoid such purchases there. The one I have I bought early on and find it to be a pipe which I will continue to smoke.

Decent selection here:

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
If you are looking to get into pipes, and you have no brick and mortar stores near you, I will give you a free briar courtesy of the Chicago Pipe Collectors Club. The pipe will be an estate pipe and will be far from perfect, but it may help you decide if this pastime is for you.