PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here are a few suggestions, by no means comprehensive, for buying a first pipe, or several of your first few, so others can add suggestions.

1. Study up. Look at online retail sites, a pipe shop or two if you have them, a pipe show if you can, and back to the online sites. Learn the dependable brands and stick with them for your first few pipes. The more reading and window shopping you do in advance, the more likely you are to have a good experience.

2. Stay within a pre-decided budget. The romance of pipes is strong, but getting started you need a good pipe, not a particularly expensive one. If you are on a tight budget, you can get a good inexpensive pipe from dependable brands and among MM cobs.

3. Once you have a pipe, keep it. You may or may not take up pipe smoking after trying it, but many people come back to it after months or years or decades, and there is no sense in starting over from the beginning. A pipe or six don't take up much room, so tuck them away and remember where. And keep the pipe tools, lighter, and pipe cleaners with them.

And now, others will have other, perhaps better suggestions.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Solid advice. I can attest to the value of point #3. Years ago I bought two basket Irish Seconds pipes recommended by a local shop owner, liked the shapes, $20 later they were mine. Tried a couple aromatics & eventually gave up. 15 yrs later I stumbled across them & headed to my local shop, Smokers Haven in Columbus. Once pointed in the right direction, the hobby took root.

Still have those pipes today, Petersons shape Watson & Professor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
And another suggestion: Learn about filters before you buy a pipe. There are several kinds, as well as various stingers (on older pipes mostly) and moisture traps. There are adaptors to replace some filters if you don't want them, and many pipes designed for filters can be smoked without them perfectly well. Mostly, know what you are doing, and don't commit to buying an unending supply of filters unless you want them. Many good pipes have no filters. Dr. Grabow and Savinelli pipes mostly take filters, but will accept adaptors or can be smoked just as well without the filters in many cases. Standard sizes of filters are 6 mm and 9 mm, and they can be paper, balsa wood, or charcoal, among other materials.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Good advice.

I would add (as someone who has bought 20 pipes in the last 2 years), slow down. Resist the urge to buy. I have really developed a sense of what I like and don't like, and wish I had bought fewer mid range pipes and slowly developed a 6 or 7 pipe rotation of pipes I truly love.

And pay attention to sizing, not just shape. If I had to do it over again, I would start with one straight and one moderately bent mid-range pipe (which in my opinion is in the $80 - $100 range) - around 1.5 oz and 5.5 - 6 inches, either billiards or pots as I find those the most versatile. And I would smoke those exclusively for 6 months before adding. Personally, i think Savinelli is one of the best brands, with fairly consistent quality, wide range of styles, reasonably priced, to start with.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think a lot of dissatisfaction is caused by miscues in buying first pipes, so some advice is always useful. Start with standard materials -- briar, cob, Meerschaum. Leave the other materials for later or not at all. The only cob brands I'd suggest are Missouri Meerschaum and Old Dominion.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
mso, what kind of advice are you doling out. Everyone knows you go big or go home.

Here is the best first pipe you can buy.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Ha! I was being being the opposite of facetious, I don't know the word.
Other pipes are great as well. But the only brand that has never let me down is Stanwell. They just work.

I was getting my chain jerked the other day! He’s on a roll... :LOL:

Lifetime warranty, interesting, what are the specifics of the warranty?

Now you have me thinking of getting a Stanwell, I do need another pipe.

By the way, anyone seen a website for Stanwell? I’m not seeing anything.

Also quality control in Denmark? I thought there was no more of anything done in Denmark, I thought this was now an Italian company? Or it’s still Danish, just doing all of the manufacturing in Italy, still with a Danish location?

P.S. @workman I edited the post over with some questions.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I was getting my chain jerked the other day! He’s on a roll... :LOL:

Lifetime warranty, interesting, what are the specifics of the warranty?

Now you have me thinking of getting a Stanwell, I do need another pipe.

By the way, anyone seen a website for Stanwell? I’m not seeing anything.

Also quality control in Denmark? I thought there was no more of anything done in Denmark, I thought this was now an Italian company? Or it’s still Danish, just doing all of the manufacturing in Italy, still with a Danish location?

P.S. @workman I edited the post over with some questions.
It's danish, with manufacturing done in Italy.
I know the warranty is a bit of a gimmick, but it does show a degree of certainty of quality, which is a good thing.
If you want to check out Stanwell pipes, try danishpipeshop.com

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
It's danish, with manufacturing done in Italy.
I know the warranty is a bit of a gimmick, but it does show a degree of certainty of quality, which is a good thing.
If you want to check out Stanwell pipes, try danishpipeshop.com

I know Stanwell, I was recently reading on them from their Pipedia article. I just didn’t remember if everything in Denmark was gone, or it was simply, they just stopped making the pipes in Denmark is all, and switched production to Italy.

But for as big as they still appear to be, what I’d like to know is, where is a website on them? ?

Reactions: danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
One piece of advice I might give is to buy your first pipe in person at a B&M, if you have a decent one convenient to you. Most of the online retailers are very good and have excellent photos, but it can be hard to get a feel for size by photos, if you are a beginner. Also, you will be able to check to make sure you can pass a pipe cleaner all the way through to the chamber, which is helpful if you're a wet smoker or the pipe gurgles a bit at first. If you go the online route, stick with one of the better known sites that have a reputation for being service-oriented. There are several listed among the site sponsors, including a couple that specialize in estate (used) pipes. If you let them know you are a beginner, I bet they'd be happy to help you find something that matches your preferences and budget.

Maybe most importantly, try not to stress out about it too much. If you buy a respected brand/maker from a reliable site or shop, the odds of getting a good, solid pipe are very much in your favor.