PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
You can't. US manufacturers do not supply or make tins which are fit for the EU market. I also think there are US members overhere that can confirm a lot of European manufacturers and blenders are quite on par or blend/produce better blends than the USA blends. The only downside I think European tobacco has it isn't to much concentrated on straight tobacco but rather on the aromatic side of it and there are not a lot burley or VaBur blends available where USA tobacco producers seem to shine.

Anchovies

Might Stick Around
You can't. US manufacturers do not supply or make tins which are fit for the EU market. I also think there are US members overhere that can confirm a lot of European manufacturers and blenders are quite on par or blend/produce better blends than the USA blends. The only downside I think European tobacco has it isn't to much concentrated on straight tobacco but rather on the aromatic side of it and there are not a lot burley or VaBur blends available where USA tobacco producers seem to shine.
Did you get that back-to-front? I mean, I'm no pipe expert but I'm pretty sure it's the Americans who are famous for aromatic blends while in Europe (particularly England), un-flavoured tobacco is the tradition.

In fact, I believe it only became legal to add topping to tobacco in England in 1985!

Anchovies

Might Stick Around
Thankyou.

As TheWhale says, Switzerland is not technically part of the EU (although it is "in Europe"), so will perhaps incur the same import costs.

I'm not sure how it works to be honest, I thought I'd have to pay taxes and import fees on any tobacco I bring into Sweden from anywhere at all. However it seems it comes through from Germany just fine - it was even held in customs for quite a while and they still delivered it with no extra costs. From the US, they always seem to apply taxes.

I suppose all I can do is order a couple of tins from that shop and find out ... :)

Thanks for the tip.

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Thankyou.

As TheWhale says, Switzerland is not technically part of the EU (although it is "in Europe"), so will perhaps incur the same import costs.

I'm not sure how it works to be honest, I thought I'd have to pay taxes and import fees on any tobacco I bring into Sweden from anywhere at all. However it seems it comes through from Germany just fine - it was even held in customs for quite a while and they still delivered it with no extra costs. From the US, they always seem to apply taxes.

I suppose all I can do is order a couple of tins from that shop and find out ... :)

Thanks for the tip.
Please tell me later how it goes with Synjeco, I have been very curious about ordering from there too.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Toady when everythings related to importing goods from outside of the EU is becoming strictly regulated and policed,it is advisable to be prepared to pay import taxes and duties,in 95% of cases all parcels sent from outside of the EU will go into customs and eventually import taxes and other possible surcharges will be levied on commercial merchandise

TheWhale13

Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
www.4noggins.com posts OS and knows how to play the game.
Although the range of blends is not as vast as other on-line tobacconists, they've got some rather good house blends.
Their Butternut Burley [which is as good as and much cheaper than Scottys Butternut Burley] and Jesses Own are amongst my favourite blends.
I would not buy from 4noggins under any circumstances, I bought from them and the package was rejected from customs, with no furthers answers from the seller. Never again.

Anchovies

Might Stick Around
Toady when everythings related to importing goods from outside of the EU is becoming strictly regulated and policed,it is advisable to be prepared to pay import taxes and duties,in 95% of cases all parcels sent from outside of the EU will go into customs and eventually import taxes and other possible surcharges will be levied on commercial merchandise
True but for some reason importing packages from Germany to Sweden seem to go through fine. I only got two so far - and both were stuck in customs for a few days, so I was expecting the moms notice - but suddenly and surprisingly just got a message they were ready to pick up.

*shrug*

The one I ordered from the US has now been stuck in customs for weeks. I dunno what’s going on there but I ordered a lot of tobby so I’m expecting to get kicked in the balls hard. (Or wallet I should say).

Reactions: chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I would not buy from 4noggins under any circumstances, I bought from them and the package was rejected from customs, with no furthers answers from the seller. Never again.
Customs intercepted your parcel so that's somehow the sellers fault?
Losing a parcel to customs is the risk that we all take for the chance to acquire tobacco at a reasonable price.
I'm grateful that there's a tobacconist still willing to post tobacco OS.

But sure, throw a tantie and blame those who were doing you a favour.

I've received over 40lbs of tobacco from 4noggins over the last 4-5 years and have lost several orders over that time.
Rather than spilling my lollies and having a sook when I lose a parcel, I shrug my shoulders and usually reorder.

TheWhale13

Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Customs intercepted your parcel so that's somehow the sellers fault?
Losing a parcel to customs is the risk that we all take for the chance to acquire tobacco at a reasonable price.
I'm grateful that there's a tobacconist still willing to post tobacco OS.

But sure, throw a tantie and blame those who were doing you a favour.

I've received over 40lbs of tobacco from 4noggins over the last 4-5 years and have lost several orders over that time.
Rather than spilling my lollies and having a sook when I lose a parcel, I shrug my shoulders and usually reorder.
I'm not blaming the seller for the rejection. That wasn't his fault. But refusing to answer my emails and messages is most definitely his fault. Answering emails is not too much to ask for? A customer should not be completely ignored, but maybe I've been spoiled with customer service that actually exists?

Reactions: Swiss Army Knife

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
I second 4noggins. I have been a customer for well over a decade and have had packages mailed to Canada, Brazil and Germany without issue.

Customs will do what customs does. Sometimes a package is seized and destroyed, sometimes it is sent back, sometimes it is sent through with tax, and sometimes without tax.

The seller has no control over what the policy of another country is, nor the whims of whatever border guard is on duty that day. It's why you are given an explicit warning that you must agree to right before you agree to have your credit card charged. It could not be more clear.

If I agree to terms, then I really do agree. There are no hard feelings if something happens outside of their control - and customs of another country falls squarely in that category. But, I guess agreements can be re-negotiated these days.

There is no "funny business" in their package contents labelling, by the way. It is accurate to describe the contents. Just as accurate as tobaccopipes.com. Smoking pipes goes out of their way to be as detailed as humanly possible, but whatever, that is fine. I buy the occasional pipe from them.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I second 4noggins. I have been a customer for well over a decade and have had packages mailed to Canada, Brazil and Germany without issue.

Customs will do what customs does. Sometimes a package is seized and destroyed, sometimes it is sent back, sometimes it is sent through with tax, and sometimes without tax.

The seller has no control over what the policy of another country is, nor the whims of whatever border guard is on duty that day. It's why you are given an explicit warning that you must agree to right before you agree to have your credit card charged. It could not be more clear.

If I agree to terms, then I really do agree. There are no hard feelings if something happens outside of their control - and customs of another country falls squarely in that category. But, I guess agreements can be re-negotiated these days.

There is no "funny business" in their package contents labelling, by the way. It is accurate to describe the contents. Just as accurate as tobaccopipes.com. Smoking pipes goes out of their way to be as detailed as humanly possible, but whatever, that is fine. I buy the occasional pipe from them.
TobaccoPipes has a great range and sales service 2nd to none.
When the laws regarding the importation of tobacco changed here in Oz, TobaccoPipes received a visit by U.S. Customs who made it very clear that they would be in the shit if they declared tobacco as something else.

Funny thing about that was that I received a couple of parcels before I even noticed that the contents of one order was declared as "Newminster No. 400 Superior Navy Flake" in rather small type.

It proved my suspicion that a parcel is either inspected or it isn't.

Reactions: Yambo and Frasermac

Anchovies

Might Stick Around
What are you guys talking about, "seized and destroyed", "losing a package"?

... all that happens is that you have to pay a moderately expensive tax bill. It's not the end of the world - it just makes it only a little bit cheaper than buying the same thing domestically instead of far cheaper - although I'd rather avoid it if I can.

TheWhale13

Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
What are you guys talking about, "seized and destroyed", "losing a package"?

... all that happens is that you have to pay a moderately expensive tax bill. It's not the end of the world - it just makes it only a little bit cheaper than buying the same thing domestically instead of far cheaper - although I'd rather avoid it if I can.
It may be different in other countries. Like you said you pay taxes here in Sweden, but a package that I bought from the US got lost because customs rejected it. Your experience will probably be different though, so please report back how it goes with that too.