PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Beeb

Lurker
Mar 8, 2021
I am looking to buy a Savinelli 122 at smokingpipes.eu im a beginner and dont know what to buy. I smoke my pipes without a filter, am i going to feel any diffrence at all? Why do they make the same pipe with diffrent mm?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most pipes with either filter size smoke well without the filter or a no-filter adaptor, but your satisfaction with either version might be a personal preference, a slight difference in the airway restriction, with or without the adaptor. I don't think the difference is much. With the 6 mm filter pipes, I sort of like the adaptor, but I probably wouldn't notice if someone took it out.

Reactions: Lumbridge and STP

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
All of my Savinelli pipes are 6mm, and I usually smoke them w/the supplied adapter. Many smoke them without either... It appears that Smoking Pipes EU sell more of the 9mm, and the one in the US (SC) sell the 6mm. It seems that most of Peterson pipes are 9mm... Ultimately, there is no compelling evidence to say that one is better than the other.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Just make sure you get the adapter, in case the draw is too open for you when smoking it sans filter. 9mm without a filter might be either a cool impromptu reverse calabash or a tongue searing furnace. I got the latter when I smoked without filter or adapter. Never again.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I have both 6mm and 9mm filtered pipes and smoke them without filters or adapters all the time. The draw will usually be more open than on unfiltered pipes. If you prefer a more open draw, it's a good option.

Savinelli / Rossi filtered pipes will smoke fine regardless of whether the filter/adapter is in place or not.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
I love all my 9mm pipes. The 6mm is good but a touch tight on the draw. 9mm is just right. The main thing it does it capture excess steam. Even when drying the tobacco before smoking, the filter will come out quite damp. Saves a lot of pain in the mouth.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I also like filters but I avoid 6mm. 9mm is more common (Im in the EU). Id have to like a 6mm pipe really well to then have to go and buy another size filter.

Grovius

Might Stick Around
Sep 27, 2020
Tui, Galicia
If the draw of the 9mm without the filter is too open for you, you can make a DIY medico filter by rolling up a small piece of paper. For some of my cobs, I fold an A4 sheet in 4 by 4 and this gives you 16 rectangles which you can roll up and insert where the filter would go. It also absorbs quite a bit of moisture (similar to a balsa filter).

Reactions: Lumbridge

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
@Grovius Ive tried this but what kind of paper?

I tried normal printing paper and the stuff almost falls to bits. Are you using something more durable than everyday printer paper?

Ive tried to do it for 3mm draws. It expands and comes apart when trying to remove it.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Given the choice in the title, 6mm or 9mm, I'd say, go with the 9mm.

Both sizes have options for balsa, meerschaum or charcoal filters. Both options have adapters for using the pipe without a filter.
But, when choosing to use a charcoal or meerschaum in-line filter, the draw on the 6mm is too restricted (for me, anyway). Whereas the draw with 9mm filters feel more open and effortless. I do not, however, find there to be much difference in the draw with the balsa inserts.
Of course, this is just my opinion.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I have a bunch of Savinelli 6mm pipes. I slightly prefer the draw with the balsa or adapter in it. However, I hate the extra step of cleaning the adapter separately, so for me it’s easier to use the balsa and then toss it after one smoke. Or for that matter keeping track of the tiny adapter that will, if dropped, find the largest piece of furniture to shoot under and hide. I don’t smoke enough to make buying the balsas a burden. If I can’t find the box of inserts within 10 seconds of picking up the pipe, I just smoke it without. If you like the pipe, don’t worry about it; I doubt it will cause you any existential problems with or without the balsa or adapter.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
I have a bunch of Savinelli 6mm pipes. I slightly prefer the draw with the balsa or adapter in it.
I do wish the 6mm charcoal was slightly more open, maybe less charcoal would do it, always feel like I need to puff a little bit. 9mm is perfect, esp the Peterson Systems, they just flow so naturally, you close your mouth around it and smoke moves right in.