PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I enjoyed watching a video recently of Former making a very nice smooth short saddle stem billiard. At one point the button seemed enormous. Of course, during the finishing process it was substantially reduced. Tonight, while I wait to shovel some of Mother Nature's Nor'Easter off the driveway, I have been smoking some MacBaren Vanilla Roll Cake (really delicious) in a Castello 10 "Castello" saddle stem billiard and I became focused on the button. While my experience with Castello tells me that they probably have more pronounced buttons than many other makers, I got to wondering about the history of buttons and which maker/artisan makes the best, largest, smallest buttons. Any thoughts or information?

Reactions: ofafeather

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I have a Dagner pipe that has (correction, HAD) a ginormous button that just annoyed the shit out of me. Have never since run across a pipe with the button shaped or proportioned like that. I asked a pipe maker to grind it down substantially and to reshape it to my liking. I know it can vary significantly from one maker to the next based on their style or preferences.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
I’m very particular about my buttons. I hate big buttons. I have shaped a few of mine to suit me. The finest factory buttons in my opinion is Sasieni. I have never had to manipulate one.