PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Back I was a kid in NYC, there used to be deli shops everywhere. It's not really "deli" shop. They were all just corner stores, but had slicer and meat. Used to get turkey and butter. Big slab of butter smeared on hoggie bread with fresh cut stack of turkey. Salt and pepper. Miss those. And hot pastrami!

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
So is every other cooking oil in the world. Ghee is crazy expensive.
Ghee is just browned butter that’s been strained, or another way of saying it, clarified butter that was left just a touch longer on the stove until the solids just begin to caramelize before straining. Not hard to make. But be warned, a lot of butter will make a little ghee. So in that regard, yeah, I guess it is a little expensive.
A cheaper shortcut (not quite as good, but works pretty well) is to just use a flavorless oil and butter together. It’ll raise the smoke point some, but still keep some butter flavor.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Thanks but I know what ghee is and how it's made. As a cooking oil it's more expensive per oz than other cooking oils and doesn't perform better. The milk solids in butter add a lot of flavor which you loose with ghee. I don't see the point of it except for people who are lactose intolerant.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Thanks but I know what ghee is and how it's made. As a cooking oil it's more expensive per oz than other cooking oils and doesn't perform better. The milk solids in butter add a lot of flavor which you loose with ghee. I don't see the point of it except for people who are lactose intolerant.
Gotcha.

Reactions: logs
Status
Not open for further replies.