PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Spent more time in the shop than on the beach this weekend...The past couple of months, I've tried several different blast medias trying to get a detailed, gnarly blast...I think this is getting pretty close....Came in at 4.75". 47 grams. .71" chamber 1.25" deep...

14wxa9u.jpg

ngopdv.jpg

2j5dkdc.jpg

14kwc1u.jpg

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That is a great looking pipe from every angle. A dark and "formal" looking pipe. Looks like you found what you were looking for as far as blast media is concerned. Well done. :clap:

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I think you found a winning blast system Zack should please a lot of pipers looking for that in a pipe, I can't imagine how many hours and media changes one goes through to get the desired results but this pipe certainly hits a home run on many facets, good job.

banjo

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Zack, if banjo says it's good, BROTHER it's good! I have a lot of respect for his opinions when it comes to pipes...

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The quality of your work is definitely going steadily upward, Z-Man. :D
The overall shape and flow is good, and the blast is outstanding.
The only sub-optimal things I can see from the pics are the stem is a bit "chunky" through its middle third plus the bite zone and button; and the shank is about a quarter of an inch too short.
Do you continue shaping a stem AFTER bending it, btw? If not, it's how most of the "perfection chaser" carvers achieve that final 10% of shape elegance. Recommended.
Absolutely keep up the good work. You've come a long way indeed.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I'd buy it! Do you make for yourself, or do you sell? Either way, that one's a winner.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Thanks for the comments guys!
@fishnbanjo-
I can't imagine how many hours and media changes one goes through to get the desired results
I've tried 6 different medias in the past 2 months and tested each one at 5 different psi ranges to get a combination that would cut aggressively and still have good detail... I'm about to make a pipe using this blast as a start and then detailing further with a microblaster- that kind of pipe takes hours of blasting...
@georged-
The only sub-optimal things I can see from the pics are the stem is a bit "chunky" through its middle third plus the bite zone and button; and the shank is about a quarter of an inch too short.
Do you continue shaping a stem AFTER bending it, btw? If not, it's how most of the "perfection chaser" carvers achieve that final 10% of shape elegance. Recommended.
George, I never thought about shaping after bending- I'll have to try that!...and as far as the shank being a .25" short, you're correct- I removed .3" in length to work around a flaw in the briar...
G

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Do I deduce from the above that this pipe shape has written parameters re shank length, chamber dimensions, (etc.)?
Do many pipe styles or shapes also have such boundaries?

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Do I deduce from the above that this pipe shape has written parameters re shank length, chamber dimensions, (etc.)?
Do many pipe styles or shapes also have such boundaries?
A lot of pipes like billiards, lovats, Canadians, etc. have certain proportions of shank length to bowl height. And then differences in shank shape from Rhodesians to Bulldogs...
It seems like in this case- from reading the rules for the KC carving competition on the author shape- that there are several variations like ball and chubby apple with a bent stem and round shank would fit into that description.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The blast is looking GREAT. I think the perceived lack of proportion in the shank could be minimized with a more symmetrical shaping of the bowl to shank at the top of the shank.

I look forward to more of your blast work and some contrasting grain colors.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
zack24:
I am looking at my oldest Dunhill Shell Briar (a 1927 model) and comparing its blast to that of the pipe shown in your images above. All that I can say is that yours beats it all hollow. The Cumberland stem is simply icing on the cake.
Well done, Sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.