PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
...because I'm stupid.
I had a tin of Hearth and Home BlackHouse from my last order that I'd been itching to try, so I opened it yesterday late morning, after taking my son to spend the night with his grandmother. The tin had lost it's vacuum seal, and the contents were dry enough to crumble as I packed it.
This, of course, is where the stupid comes in to play. A smart person would have stopped immediately and tried to re-hydrate it. I said "Well, this seems pretty dry, but I'll give it a shot..." Ouch.
I was in pain after literally just a couple of puffs. Not chemical burn from Ph, but pure heat! I tried a couple more puffs: "Maybe if I smoke it REAL slow..." Nope. I could and should have stopped before I did, but I just KEPT trying to make this kindling smoke right until I couldn't handle the pain, and allowed myself to stop.
I eventually re-hydrated it by putting the open tin in a Tupperware dish with a damp paper towel, and let it sit outside in the shade for six hours, then smoked another bowl before bed.
It burned really, really well. No heat at all, no Ph burn. I can't taste a damn thing but I imagine it tastes good. I smoked half a bowl this morning (still can't taste) and am now going out to finish the bowl between classes.
I sure hope my tongue heals and I regain my sense of taste and remember, I suffered so you don't have to!!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not to confuse the issue, but some tobacco that comes really dry, or becomes dry, smokes well. Five Brothers has a lot of nicotine kick and burns awfully fast, but it comes dry as the desert and smokes fine if you happen to like high nic. Likewise, Semois comes quite dry and doesn't bite, or I don't find it does. I think you sorted this out pretty well. You might have been more tentative/cautious trying that first bowl, but pipe smokers tend to proceed with relish, so maybe that's not likely. Glad you discovered how to revive the tin.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Brother Rob, gotta protect your tongue! I agree with mso, we tend to jump right in. I remember burning paper with steam in Highschool. Imagine the same for your tongue. Your pulling moist, hot smoke into your mouth. Keep a nice beverage on hand and there are no judgements if you decide to toss a bowl out/decide its not right. I waste the bottom third of my bowl all the time because I tend to not like it that far in.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
MSO,
I tend to smoke most blends pretty dry, at least dry compared to what I originally thought pipe tobacco was supposed to be like. I think that's part of the reason I tried this instead of just immediately re-hydrating. This is the first time I've ever re-hydrated anything.
Alas, this was just bone dry and painful. Now, though, it really, really smokes well! I'm still barely able to taste, but I began to get an impression of what it tastes like. I may have found a new favorite, once my tongue heals.
jiujitsubowl,
Yeah, I guess anything worth doing is worth doing to excess! I really do wish I'd been more cautious, though.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Rob, i would give yourself a few weeks before giving any taste rating to whatever you try. Like you where kinda getting at the damage to your tongue now will not allow you to enjoy full flavor till it rests.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks for the cautionary tale. I started out by over hydrating my baccy, and since I'm a Gemini, I'm likely to go the the opposite extreme!
I am getting better being able to squeeze a bag or a pinch to judge the crunch factor, and hopefully will be able to stop myself before doing in my tongue and gums.
Cheers!

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
When I'm in a hurry to try a dried out tobacco (no real patience here!), I pack the pipe then cup my mouth over the pipe rim and force hot moist air through the tobacco. Works like a charm! Though the most sophisticated palates may taste lunch again....

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I've never encountered a good, or I should say bad tongue scorching like you did. However, if I did I'd go with some Biotene as chasingembers suggested, and then I would most definitely lay off of the pipe for a couple of days. After all, if you get sunburned you certainly don't go back out and immediately expose yourself to the sun again. Give the tongue a rest and let it heal as you're not doing it any good whatsoever by exposing it to more smoke so soon.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
A layer of duct tape on your tongue will work wonders.

But please post pics if you do. :rofl:

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Seriously though I feel for you. Been there and didn't like the T-shirt. Glad you found a way to mitigate the tongue burn or at least minimize it.

She who must be obeyed is the one who suggested I use duct tape. She is very helpful. The duct tape wouldn't stay on and she suggested, in her helpful way, that I let her use the stapler to hold it in place.

I think she enjoyed taking the staples out - more than she did putting the staples in.

She said, "This is going to hurt me more than it is going to hurt you." I actually believed her until I realized her tears were because she was laughing so hard.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My parents alway said that just before a thrashing.... Memories!
And I just had 25 staples taken out of my stomach - off the stomach may be more accurate, and the Doc said I can travel!! Woo HOO!

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I'm fully healed, and BlackHouse has become one of my favorites.
It's a "Balkan" whatever-the-heck that means. Smells like an English, tastes like an English, except for a very, very subtle sweetness that I can only taste occasionally. I burns slow and cool, with a lot of flavor, and, while probably not "complex" to many of the old-timers here, it's definitely the most layered smoke I've tried so far.
I think it's what Frog Morton (another favorite) wants to be when it grows up!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Yeah Rob! It does sound as if you've healed if you are tasting so much. I am no expert, but my impression is that a balkan will have some of what's known as oriental tobacco along with some Lat and maybe Va or Burley?..probably usually, Va...and if you can taste the orientals, and distinguish other flavors too..well...you got it happening.

I'm happy for you...I know how it is to lose one's ability to taste...my own experience wasn't from a burn, but some strange occurrence that I still can't resolve...involving an overall chemical taste that dominated everything but a strong lat blend..it's all good now..I was scared I was poisoned or something...

Status
Not open for further replies.