Status
Not open for further replies.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Well, having never seen one,....I'm assuming it looks like this:
100_0540.jpg

From now on I buy no estate pipes from anyone who has: "I'm no expert" in the description. It was only six bucks but I'm still not happy about it. I thought it was a nice looking little pipe.
I suppose now I'll just use it for practicing my re-furbishing techniques.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
It was too deep, I got to digging about with a pocketknife, removed the cake down to the wall, dug out the char from the burn-out,(Holy Cripes what a stink!!), and it ended up going almost all the way through the wall. Oh well. At least now I know I do NOT one of my good pipes to experience a burn-out.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Collin said
I do NOT [want?] one of my good pipes to experience a burn-out.

None of us may have a choice in the matter. I read where that can happen to the most expensive of high-grades. If a natural flaw is hidden just beneath the surface, something like a knot or burr in the wood, no one would ever know until it was too late.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Thanks Cortezattic I always figured burn-outs were caused by operator error. Seems like everything in life is a crapshoot! LOL!
p.s yes the missing word is want!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Seen that a lot! Not near as Common as damage from beating the beejesus out of a pipe to empty it though.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
That's funny, I have to admit; before I learned better I beat the heal of my boot quite often.

All but one meerschaum were basket-pipes thank goodness.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
You could give some pipe mud a try. Mix cigar ashes with just enough water to make a putty and apply it to the area. Let it dry completely. It usually sets up like JB Weld.

changojoe

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2010
OMG!!! and just when i thought all was lost you gave me hope unclearthur!!!

i found a old Ben Wayde, and when i got to the task of cleaning and sanitizing

i discover a horrible tragedy at the bottom of the bowl its burned out!!! a huge gap. it looks like the previews owner just jammed in the cleaners and made a hole on it. or scraped it to hard to get the dottel out and just damaged the end of the bowel !! agh!!! i will try the pipe mud asap!!!

thanks again!!

(today i cheated on my pipe with a cigar!lol!! now i have to go get the ashes from my truck's ash tray)

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
As one who treats his pipes like honored guests, I find that photograph especially troubling. May we ever guard against this painful occurrence.

Status
Not open for further replies.