PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
A many good morrows to you all !
About burn marks :
I know how to deal wirh burn marks on the rim, but how to remove them if they are present on (for instance) the front of the bowl ?

We do not want to alter the shape of the pipe, so sanding and filling is possibly not an option on a smooth bowl, or is it ?

I am working on a wonderful GBD Virgin with outstanding grain; it was a bargain, but it has a nasty burn on the bent shank.

Could they be bleached, like with caustic soda ?
Could Diamond needle files or the dremel do the job on a rusticated or blasted pipe ?
I worked on so many sandblasted Charatan pipes that often show an inconsistent blast ( I love the FH reliefs )

Could one extra little caveat be hardly noticable ?
Besides; so many older Dunhill shell briar shows such deep blasting that it can even make the briar instable .
I hate burn marks :evil:
Please share your thought with me.
Good puffing

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Agree- photos would help a lot! Here's a way to do so:
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Burn marks on the bowl are pretty tough to remove. Usually, to get them out, it is necessary to break the stain, so it would need to be restained. Another issue is going deep enough with paper to remove the burn mark usually changes the profile of the bowl, so that has to be feathered out, carefully! A picture would be helpful.
With mild scorch (not burn) marks on top of the rim, I typically use 8,000 grade micromesh paper. Many times that is enough to reduce the darkening and not break the stain or alter the rim profile.

Dec 10, 2013
Thank you all for jumping in.

I felt a trifle discouraged and threw it back in the pile.

Will retrieve it and try to post a picture soon, also one of a Reuben era Charatan 102 with very nice blast and the nasty burn on the front of the bowl :cry:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A minor aside, but how do you get burn marks on the outside briar? Going crazy with or being inattentive with a lighter? I don't see outside burns like that, often or at all.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Wondered the same, Tom. It's also possible something else has caused a dark stain, such as a fault in the briar allowing tars to seep to the outside. (?) Or letting it sit in moisture on the spot....(?)

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I always figured that burn marks on the outside of the bowl was usually due to carelessness, such as setting a pipe in an ash tray with a cigarette, or someone putting a cigarette in the ash tray with your pipe. I suppose some other ways exist, but most of the burn marks I've seen have been cigarette sized.

Dec 10, 2013
Hi Orley,
I think that is the major cause of burns . They're always about cigarette sized.

If I like an estate with a burn and I can buy it for a few bucks, I take my change .

The burn on the Charatan was more or less "hidden" under the blast and showed up while cleaning it.

Al :

English is my second language : I do not understand your comment " the average bear "

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This may help: looks like you created a link from your desktop....
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Wood turns black from the residual carbon left behind after incomplete combustion. It can't be bleached out or similar. After burning, the wood itself IS black, not just stained.
Exterior burns on pipe bowls and shanks are usually caused from sitting in an ashtray alongside a smoldering cigarette, as someone already mentioned.
The only "fix" is physical removal of the burned portion. Re-staining a pipe a dark color to camouflage/hide the burn is also sometimes possible.
Wish I had better news. :(

Dec 10, 2013
I could not do without my weekly currie, no way ! Thank you for reminding : running short on wet wipes :rofl:
Thank you George, thought so :-( Although some remove burns from wooden floors ( think fireplace ) with caustic soda, could it be worth trying ? Nothing ventured...
Or one day I will release the Dremel monster and see what happens .

The blast on those Reuben Era Charatans is often deep, craggy and inconsistent, like the older Dunnies. I love them.
What epoxy and pigment was it again you repaired chipped of mouthpieces with ?
Many thanks,

Roland

Status
Not open for further replies.