PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Reule 9) - Bob

I have been smoking for several years after a ten year hiatus. My big problem is that it seems that any blend with burley hits me hard. Leaves a gross taste in my mouth that lasts for days even with brushing my teeth and a strong mouthwash. The nicotine headaches are horrid. So I avoid burley blends like the plague of the day. Being Coranavirus, the flu or some other bug of the hour. Does this mean that I am cursed? Not a nicotine fan. Comment at will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jpmcwjr and rushx9

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
I can smoke burley but Virginia, so far, leaves me flat. No idea if it’s a permanent condition.

But if you have to avoid burley, there are a ton of tobacco blends without it.
I know but all the ones that everyone recommends has burley in it. A lot of the codger blends have burley in them. Trying to avoiding burley is a pain in my patoote.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Burley sucks, which is to say, I find the same as you, Swampy - it's flat, acrid, strong, and nasty. And I mean, I've had the good stuff, Stonehaven etc. I can't do burley. So you're not alone. Luckily there's a million other things to smoke. Mac Baren makes all kinds of low/medium nicotine stuff, mostly burley free (and even their flagship burley blend, Navy Flake, is pretty good).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
swampdragon, that is a perfectly honorable situation. Some can't taste burley at all; some really don't like it and/or become ill smoking it; and some like it very much. I happen to be a burley smoker, but I sure wouldn't smoke it if it made me suffer. There are plenty of wonderful non-burley blends, so I'd just smoke those. This is supposed to be an enjoyment, not an induced illness. Anything that does not make you feel ill, smoke those.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I love the taste of burley, but it kills my throat and sinuses, even makes my ears pop. I've found that American and Mexican white burley hurts the most, while dark African burley and Kentucky don't really bother me much. Also, euro blends with burley that don't use pg (Gawith, Germain's, K&K) don't bother me much either. They still leave my throat rough, but don't mess with my sinuses or inner ear the way American burley blends do. I've come to the conclusion that my problem is most likely with the chemical additives. White burley soaks them up like a sponge, and that's part of why it's used so much in aros and OTCs. Also, I tend to get caught up puffing away at burley and when it gets too hot and ashy, the alkalinity becomes a serious problem(low-key lye burn). If it's just the flavor that bothers you, I don't know what to tell you other than that there are plenty of straight VAs, and traditional English blends out there. A lot of people figure out over time that their body chemistry just works with some strains of leaf better than others.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Reule 9) - Bob

I have been smoking for several years after a ten year hiatus. My big problem is that it seems that any blend with burley hits me hard. Leaves a gross taste in my mouth that lasts for days even with brushing my teeth and a strong mouthwash. The nicotine headaches are horrid. So I avoid burley blends like the plague of the day. Being Coranavirus, the flu or some other bug of the hour. Does this mean that I am cursed? Not a nicotine fan. Comment at will.
Bob. What is rule 9?

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I agree with Tom’s thoughts, the reaction to burley varies from person to person. Also, it is not the same with every blend. I am starting slow with burley and exploring cautiously to see what my tolerance will be and haven’t fully answered that question. I have had some positive experiences and some rougher ones. Nothing as bad as what you describe yet.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Thepipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2020
WV
I also would be interested in the Burley blends that you are not enjoying. Not all Burley is the same, and as someone who loves Burley there's some blends that I don't particularly care for. But it isn't for everyone and it is perfectly okay if it isn't your thing too.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
The OTC blends are the worst. I soo want to reflect on my forefathers but they make me sick. I have a jar of Haunted Bookshop but it makes my breath gross for several days. I purposely make every time I light up a celebration. The celebration is ruined by Burley. I seem to find incredible well aged tins of Burley forward blends dirt cheap. Like less than $8 for a large tin but do not buy because it bites me horribly. Do not think that I have trashed those great finds. They are chilling in my cellar under a watchful eye. Only lost one to mold. I had tears when it got cremated in a ceremony of celebration.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
I also would be interested in the Burley blends that you are not enjoying. Not all Burley is the same, and as someone who loves Burley there's some blends that I don't particularly care for. But it isn't for everyone and it is perfectly okay if it isn't your thing too.
I have jars of all the Peterson special reserve going from 2010 to 2017. Also the holiday seasons from 2012 to 2016. McClellend blue wax seal and natural wax 40th anniversary tins. A large tin of Union Leader from the early 60ties. Had a jar of early sixties Prince Albert but lost it to mold. I have sampled both high quality European and American burley.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I also dislike straight Burley. I tried Solani ABF and Wessex Burley Slices and found both had a weird kind of nasty taste. I should like Reiner Long Golden but the white Burley in it ruins the blend for me.

I do enjoy a number of Vaburs it is the straight stuff I don't dig.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Not a fan of burley either, although I find it tolerable in the summer months when it's higher humidity outside and I'm generally better hydrated. But, I'm more sensitive to the PG - that sticky crap the cloys to the inside of your mouth like luke warm mutton stew.

As per another thread, those burley blends (SWR, Prince Albert) can be used as sacrificial dottle when the need arises.

Status
Not open for further replies.