PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Ford or Chevy?, what's the best motor oil?, what's the best golf ball?; I could go on. There are lot's of great burleys and burley blends to choose from. Taste is individual so my "best" burley may be dreck to you. Part of the attraction of pipe smoking is the great variety of tobaccos available and the journey one takes to find their favored blends. Recommend perusing C&D offerings as they have a large selection burley based blends that many on this forum enjoy. The website Tobacco Review can assist in narrowing the search.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Amphora & Original Flake (walnut) for me. I’m not a big burley smoker but those are the two I’ve stuck with.

Reactions: Streeper541

Reggie_Magoo

Lurker
Nov 3, 2022
Been wantto try 8 state burley but its always out of stock thanks all for the info got some blends I need to try I also enjoy the dark fired blends

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Ohhhhhh.... that's a great question!

I certainly can't say it's the best, but the number one Burley blend in my rotation is C&D Haunted Bookshop.

I also very much enjoy Peterson University Flake & Irish Flake, C&D Burley Flake #5, MacBaren HH Burley Flake, and War Horse Bar.
Haunted Bookshop doesn't do much for me but love Old Joe Krantz.

Like others have said, it’s all a matter of tastes as to what is best. Some assume codger blends are “the” burleys, some prefer the dark fires, and some prefer a burley like C&Ds blends. I am of the latter. Haunted Bookshop, Pegasus, Kellys Coin, Stokkebyes cubed cut, GH&co Bright and Burley, etc… I don’t really have a “best,” just what suits my tastes at the time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most good burleys, single leaf or blends, are the best to me. I can't help myself.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Been trying to find it its always out of stock

Blends made by Kohlhase & Kopp have been scarce for the last year. Don't know if it's low supply, people hoarding, or a combination of the two. Keep your eyes open and when you see out of stock Rattray's and Wessex blends showing up, start the hunt.

Solani Aged Burley Flake is magical, and I've only had the new stuff. I've got a few older tins from before the change, but haven't tried them, yet.