PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's one of a kind, so I'd categorize it as a freehand, but it is totally unique. Since there aren't any others like it, it probably doesn't need a shape name. It's beautifully done. I don't know if it would easily smoke to the bottom of the chamber, but that's beside the point. It's a masterpiece of design.

bowrocker

Lurker
Apr 7, 2022
Still River, MA
www.youtube.com
It's one of a kind, so I'd categorize it as a freehand, but it is totally unique. Since there aren't any others like it, it probably doesn't need a shape name. It's beautifully done. I don't know if it would easily smoke to the bottom of the chamber, but that's beside the point. It's a masterpiece of design.
Thank you! Despite how it looks it’s one of my better smokers, but you are right, you can’t ever get to the bottom and the chamber is small. Clenches great though.

Reactions: ofafeather

bowrocker

Lurker
Apr 7, 2022
Still River, MA
www.youtube.com
I purchased a few pipes from him in the 80's I had one very similar to yours, and I believe it was the saxophone. Wish I still had it.
Interesting, and sorry about yours.

I had a couple of his that were either lost or stolen. I always thought I’d go back and replace them but alas that never came to pass.

I always enjoyed visiting his shop, seeing his new designs, trying some tobacco, chatting with Ed and his assistant Andrew, and later his wife. They don’t seem to make places like that any longer.

bowrocker

Lurker
Apr 7, 2022
Still River, MA
www.youtube.com
I love toppers like that. Beautiful!!!
Don't let naysayers tell you that they're hard to smoke. Bone dry, I like to pack light, tamp after lighting, and just keep it clenched till it has gone out. I love the last little bit in these. They'll stove a Virginia to a super sweetness.

Enjoy!!!
Thank you and thanks for the tips!

And I never heard the term "toppers" -- does it refer to high topped stack shapes? Sorry, I've been away from pipe land far too long...

Reactions: ofafeather

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I love toppers like that. Beautiful!!!
Don't let naysayers tell you that they're hard to smoke. Bone dry, I like to pack light, tamp after lighting, and just keep it clenched till it has gone out. I love the last little bit in these. They'll stove a Virginia to a super sweetness.

Enjoy!!!
Always appreciate your perspective! Sometimes it’s right on practical experience, sometimes outrageously hilarious. Either way, usually lifts my mood.