Bulleit 95 Rye Or Rittenhouse Straight Rye: Which Is better?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Bulleit 95 Rye 45% abv is £30:50 for 70 cl and Rittenhouse Straight Rye 50% abv is £37:99 per 70 cl.

Having only ever tried Jack Daniels Rye and Jim Beam Pre Prohibition Rye (which I thought far superior to the JD) I am now looking at more premium rye whiskies and of the two above, which offers the best bang per buck in the eyes of regular drinkers of the stuff?

Personally I think them both hideously expensive but an itch needs scratching so any tips would be welcome.

Regards,

Jay.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Rittenhouse, as a 'historic' brand (with Old Overholt one of the rye's regulary available before the category picked back up 7-8 years ago), is worth a try for anyone interested in ryes.

Compared to Bullit, it's going to have deeper flavors with a semi-dry, hot finish. Not so hot it can't be taken neat/straight. Works as a sipper or mixer.

Bullit Rye is a very balanced, unoffensive, middle-road rye by MGP. That's not a knock, it's accessible for a wide audience and makes a popular mixer. Smooth enough to drink neat/straight....primary notes will be more mellow herb/light spice.

If you want to try a Rye but want something that won't blow your taste-buds/fairly 'all-audience' profile.....try the Bullit. If you want something that is going to bring a but more honey-spice heat, bolder flavor forward....go Rittenhouse. Rye is like peated whisky, people seem to love or hate it with not much in between. Rittenhouse is by no means the most spicy rye around....but makes no bones about what it is. Bullit is there to play that mid-ground.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
I've only ever had bulleit 10 year so I can't comment on the 95. I do however think J.P. wisers makes a great rye whiskey that had a fantastic price point.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"If you want to try a Rye but want something that won't blow your taste-buds/fairly 'all-audience' profile.....try the Bullit. If you want something that is going to bring a but more honey-spice heat, bolder flavor forward....go Rittenhouse"

Bugger! I can see me having to splash out on both now ?

Let's see what others have to say......

Regards,

Jay.?

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Bullet just raised their prices about 25% last week. It was $22, now closer to $30.

That is material. I loved Bullet for the value.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Rittenhouse. If you have access to Woodford Reserve Rye, it beats both.

I know you are in the U.K. so access to North American whiskies may be limited, but just in case, High West Midwinter Night's Dram, Lot 40, and Whistlepig are some of the better high end Rye whiskies on this side of the pond.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
"If you want to try a Rye but want something that won't blow your taste-buds/fairly 'all-audience' profile.....try the Bullit. If you want something that is going to bring a but more honey-spice heat, bolder flavor forward....go Rittenhouse"

Bugger! I can see me having to splash out on both now ?

Let's see what others have to say......

Regards,

Jay.?
I won't toss out the ever-present "my favorites you should try" list as I figure you picked those two for a reason (availability/price etc.). What I'd add to these two is Rittenhouse would represent the more 'unique flavor profile as its a distinctive Heaven Hill product line. Bullitt 95 is perfectly tasty... but (at least in the past) it's basically the same juice as Dickel's standard rye, Templeton (plus whatever flavoring they do), etc. It's a MGP standard rye bill used by multiple NDP's, so chances are you try a few ryes you're going to 'get the Bullit experience in any case

That doesn't change the Bullit is a fine, milder mannered choice if that's your comfort level....just that Rittenhouse is more a 'unique profile in the Rye world.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Oh gosh...both are good. But if it came down to making a choice, Rittenhouse by more than a nose because It’s more versatile. Rittenhouse makes a better cocktail but straight up slow sippin’ then you’d want Bulleit.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Heathens mix the stuff! Sacrilege I say!!... rotf rotf rotf

nana LOL When I'm out with friends and their women, that's when I drink cocktails. Try a Waldorf (with absinthe) and get back to me. Or a rye Man o' War...or a Rock n' Rye, or a rye Manhattan.

Now, by myself in those jazz soaked moments it's rye served neat and slooow sipped.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well folks I've decided to raid the piggy bank and buy both as they both seem to be very popular with you folks.

As I said before, they are hideously priced (compared to bourbon) but I suppose one has to pay if one wants to play.

I did also find three other rye whiskies that I've never heard of, Sazerac Rye (£34:99 down from £39:49), Whistle Pig 10 Year Old Rye (£44:5 for a miserly 35.5 cl bottle!) and Rebel Yell Rye (£30:79). Of the three, Rebel Yell might be on my future shopping list.

Thanks guys for your tips.....much appreciated :)

Regards,

Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Just for the record I just bought the Rittenhouse Rye, the Bulleit Rye and the Rebel Yell Rye. For the cost of these three I could have bought five 1 litre bottles of Jim Beam White Label so they'd better be good ?

Regards,

Jay.

tech49

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2020
Hamburg Twp, MI
I like both, and have a bottle of Bulleit sitting over there- finished the Rittenhouse a couple months ago. My current favorite rye is Russel's Reserve 6-year-old 90 proof. Nice straight, with that herbal peppery edge I want.

I retired from administration and teaching at the college level, where I taught several classes in the Culinary Arts, Biology, and Brewing and Distillation Technology departments. I would tell my Wine & Spirits students, and the students in my Brewing and Distillation Science classes that when you're having a cocktail with vodka as the spirit, you're generally safe with the house brand. However, when ordering a whiskey cocktail, spend a little and specify a decent one- whiskey cocktails made by a knowledgeable bartender should highlight and feature the whiskey flavor, not cover it up.

There is nothing like a Mint Julep made with rye by a competent mixologist on a hot, steamy day.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Bulleit 95 Rye 45% abv is £30:50 for 70 cl and Rittenhouse Straight Rye 50% abv is £37:99 per 70 cl.

Having only ever tried Jack Daniels Rye and Jim Beam Pre Prohibition Rye (which I thought far superior to the JD) I am now looking at more premium rye whiskies and of the two above, which offers the best bang per buck in the eyes of regular drinkers of the stuff?

Personally I think them both hideously expensive but an itch needs scratching so any tips would be welcome.

Regards,

Jay.
Just for the record I just bought the Rittenhouse Rye, the Bulleit Rye and the Rebel Yell Rye. For the cost of these three I could have bought five 1 litre bottles of Jim Beam White Label so they'd better be good ?

Regards,

Jay.
Jay, Given those two options, go for the Rittenhouse. I like Bulleit, but their rye is disappointing. I'm not a fan of most things Jack Daniels and have not had the Jim Beam Prohibition Rye and therefore cannot speak to it. I know you already bought some of them and tried them based on your previous post, so hopefully you now know the answer to your own question. ;)

I'm responding now because I just saw this thread and wanted to say that the best rye for the buck is Old Forester Rye, hands down. You will not find a better rye at the price point and it is even better than ryes that sell for much more. It's damn good regardless. I cannot understand how the price is so low on the Old Forester Rye for how good it is. If you are able to get it, I hope you agree. Although it's good straight up, it makes a damn fine "Perfect" Manhattan when mixed 2:1 with a 50:50 blend of Vya Sweet and Extra Dry Vermouth and homemade maraschino cherries! If you don't agree, I apologize, but at least the rye was a steal!

Status
Not open for further replies.