PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I can't speak as to differences between bulk vs tin for the same tobacco.
That being said, even when I order tins, I throw 1 oz of 3-4 different bulks on to my order since they're so inexpensive (usually 4 bulk blends for the price of one tin). This gives me an affordable way to try a ton of different blends. And if I happen to like a particular bulk blend, I order anywhere from 4-8 oz when I next order to build up my cellar.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
There are a host of many excellent blends unavailable except as bulk. Arrango Balkan Supreme, F&K Lancer Slices, Gawith Hoggarths Westmorland Slices, several Hearth and Home VAPers like Anniversary Kake, and the many Peter Stokkebye flakes. My first choice is to buy in coin-style tins, but don't hesitate to buy bulk blends then package them in canning jars or 4-mil aluminum mylar heat sealed bags.
The OP's fundamental question was really more about match blends. I have generally been disappointed in those as matches, but they can be good in their own right. Heavier casing is fairly common in those. That said, why not buy an ounce? It's an small gamble.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
There are a host of many excellent blends unavailable except as bulk. Arrango Balkan Supreme, F&K Lancer Slices, Gawith Hoggarths Westmorland Slices, several Hearth and Home VAPers like Anniversary Kake, and the many Peter Stokkebye flakes come to mind. My first choice is to buy in coin-style tins, but don't hesitate to buy bulk blends then package them in canning jars or 4-mil aluminum mylar heat sealed bags.
The OP's fundamental question was really more about match blends. I have generally been disappointed in those as matches, but they can be good in their own right. Heavier casing is fairly common in those. That said, why not buy an ounce? It's a small gamble.
As for the Dunhill blends, with the rumors swirling of STG Lane picking up the line, it might be wise to wait a few months. Since they were the manufacturer of the most recent versions, they should be unchanged.

greatdane

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2018
Can anyone testify to the storage longevity of the larger (12 or 16oz) "tub" style tinned tobacco?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Can anyone testify to the storage longevity of the larger (12 or 16oz) "tub" style tinned tobacco?
Not direct experience with anything more than 6 years old. 6 year old stuff I've gotten has been perfect.
Problem I have is would I rather open a very large tin that's 10 + years old and feel obligated to smoke it or does it make more sense to store it in 2 oz portions to match how I'd prefer to smoke it down the road. There are some who claim that really old tobacco needs to be smoked reasonably soon after opening or it turns to "shitdust". I don't think I buy that but I don't really know either. So given the two reasons, I prefer to break it down into smaller portions. Other than convenience, I see no justification for leaving it in the larger tin (unless the larger tin already has some decent age to it).

tjsgarden

Lurker
Feb 22, 2019
West Monroe, LA, USA
Like most TAD's I do both.

When I order bulk, I enjoy designing my own labels to put on pint size Ball jars.

Avery, the label company has a very good and easy online design program. I use their software and create an original label in less than 5 minutes.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I've been smoking C&D's Haunted Bookshop for years and always bought it in bulk. Last April, instead of buying the bulk, I bought an 8oz tin. I found the tin version a lot more satisfying. It wasn't as harsh as the bulk and the perique was a lot more toned down. I used to buy bulk C&D blends by the pound, but since I'm cutting down on my tobacco purchases I decided to start buying C&D blends by the tin.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I buy bulk primarily. Everyone has a different opinion on tins vs bulk though. I enjoy the jarring process of a large bulk purchase, it is fun

Funny, some say the jars don't hold up for more than a few years, and some say that the tins don't hold up for more than a few years, and sometimes the same people say both. Square tins, rectangle tins, or round tins, someone has had experiences with something leaking at some point in this forum's existence.
Jarring isn't really all that hard. Just buy new jars or wash some old ones, put tobacco in them, and close them up. There's really nothing more to it.
I will buy tins if they are available, but sometimes buying a five pound bag is just easier or the best option for stocking up. Some delicate "Princess and the Pea" types will report differences in tastes, but I have never detected such a difference to be dramatic, and sometimes from tin to tin I will taste the same differences. YMMV

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Problem I have is would I rather open a very large tin that's 10 + years old and feel obligated to smoke it or does it make more sense to store it in 2 oz portions to match how I'd prefer to smoke it down the road. There are some who claim that really old tobacco needs to be smoked reasonably soon after opening or it turns to "shitdust". I don't think I buy that but I don't really know either. So given the two reasons, I prefer to break it down into smaller portions. Other than convenience, I see no justification for leaving it in the larger tin (unless the larger tin already has some decent age to it).
I think it's six of one and a half dozen of the other. Personal preference. I've done both, and probably will continue to do so. Some bulk I've triple bagged and left it at that. But I live in a mild climate, with indoor humidity ca. 50-60%.

your forgot label jar.

I didn't want to stir that whole outlaw printer and debilitating circle cutting controversy again, ha ha.

No, I just slap a mailing label and write blend, date, and weight. And, sometimes I have my own little pet names for blends that I use instead of the one the company gives it. Some names are just stupid. I don't want 5100 in my cellar, so I have renamed it "Tits Up." It gives me joy. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.