PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyle b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2019
Northern rivers nsw Australia
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

G'day, due to circumstance I have been repackaging my bulk orders into reused tobacco tins , instead of jars , making sure the lid is snug and then tapeing around the tin with electrical tape with hope of sealing , my oldest repacked tins are only around the 12 month mark but the only one or 2 that I've opened seem fine , just wondering if anyone else has done the same or anyone with ideas if this can work for a longer period of time and why glass jars are better , is it just about the seal or about the amount of airspace for the tobacco to stew in , thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jpmcwjr

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I do the same thing with my GL Pease Jackknife plugs; I usually buy two of the 8oz cans at a time which has 4 plugs in each, separate the plugs and put them individually into old C&D tins. I don't seal them or anything either and they've always been fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lyle b

Lyle b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2019
That seal is nowhere close to a mason jar or mylar bag. If your house where you store them isn't too dry, it may work for a couple of years. Not what I'd do, YMMV.
I've only a very modest cellar and about 6 months till could maybe jar to store , I am moving around abit at the moment , hence the tins , will jar up when I can i think , thanks for the advice .

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Seems like the jar (or mylar) would be much better due to the seal, unless of course you have a way of resealing the tin. I could theoretically see wax working, or some sort of vacuum sealing method, but vac seal bags are not "forever" seals, hence why heat-sealed mylar is used for long-term food storage.

For a few months or so (depending on climate), I could see it working. I actually reuse tins for blends that I'm taking out of a jar.

Lyle b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2019
Seems like the jar (or mylar) would be much better due to the seal, unless of course you have a way of resealing the tin. I could theoretically see wax working, or some sort of vacuum sealing method, but vac seal bags are not "forever" seals, hence why heat-sealed mylar is used for long-term food storage.

For a few months or so (depending on climate), I could see it working. I actually reuse tins for blends that I'm taking out of a jar.
Yea thanks , thinking it will do while it has to but as soon as I get the chance I will jar it up . Thanks

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Status
Not open for further replies.