PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jerry144

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2021
Hi - I am still at the stage of trying a bunch of different tobaccos, but I am really enjoying Orlik Golden Sliced.

But I want to stock up as soon as I am confident. So I am interested in buying bulk. Any suggestions on bulk tobacco blends that are similar?

I also like Golden Yacht - if that helps describe my taste...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hi - I am still at the stage of trying a bunch of different tobaccos, but I am really enjoying Orlik Golden Sliced.

But I want to stock up as soon as I am confident. So I am interested in buying bulk. Any suggestions on bulk tobacco blends that are similar?

I also like Golden Yacht - if that helps describe my taste...
Newminster Superior Navy Flake

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I’d say either Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake or the Newminster 400 that ‘embers mentioned would probably be the closest. It’s been a long time since I had OGS, so I’m working off a slightly foggy memory here. I think I remember OGS having some Perique in it, which the Newminster lacks. You might be closer with the PS LNF, but like I said, it’s been a long time.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Both of the above mentioned flakes are great. I love OGS and wish I could buy it by the pound. The main thing that will be missing from the other blends is that bit of Bergamot you find in OGS ...I know they say there is some Perique in there, but I can't taste it (which means absolutely nothing)

One additional suggestion I'd make is Sutliff Virginia Slices ...there is definitely something 'similar' going on there. Good luck!

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
If you really love OGS though, it's so cheap especially if you buy the 100g tins it's not far off from bulk prices at ~$17 per 100g tin. It's one of the most cost friendly tin products.

+1. I recently bought 10 50g tins when they were on sale for $7.50. Just bought 10 100g tins. Plan to get up to about 10lbs (4500g).

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
In Europe 50gr pouch of OGS will set you back for $ 14
Where I live in 'Europe', it is $ 25/50 gr. In Denmark you can buy 38 g pouch or 100 g tin, at the same price per gr, since bulk discounts have not been allowed for many years. I just bought a pouch the other day. There is no similar alternative atm to me and all pipe tobaccos almost cost the same here.

Last edited:

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
I am in no way a competent tobacco reviewer but what I get from OGS, after 40 years of pipe and until 10 years ago, also cigarette smoking, is a rather sweet, mild virginia with bergamot flavouring and a peppery mouthfeel. The latter probably from the perique or whatever. It is among the easiest tobaccos to prepare and smoke and satisfies my now lessened cravings later in the day, after working hours, etc. I have become less 'nicotine-resistent'. It burns easy and can be smoked to the bottom of the bowl or relit cold with eg half a bowl, without tasting odd. It was for many years considered a premium OTC and enjoyed by many codgers here. Nothing deep or fancy but a good starter tobacco especially for previous cigarette smokers and perhaps less addictive as eg Capstan, which I preferred as my every day (and all day) tobacco for many, many years but which lack some of the above mentioned positives of OGS, which I have lately come to appreciate.

Reactions: dcon and UncleRasta

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Newminster 400 is a different cat. It's a much thicker and longer and topped VA flake. (I love the tin note! and it's a fairly smooth VA)

Luxury Navy flake or twist are both more of a match in that their flakes are thin, nice moisture content, subtle topping on the twist, but both pretty much flavored by the leaf itself as is OGS. No?

I'd bet that Sutliff has a bulk flake that works. Or Lane.
I consider more than $2.50 / oz. expensive.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Luxury Navy flake or twist are both more of a match in that their flakes are thin, nice moisture content, subtle topping on the twist, but both pretty much flavored by the leaf itself as is OGS. No?
That was my thinking as well, but I’m going off of a fuzzy memory of OGS. Now I’m thinking maybe I need to order a tin or two, because I don’t remember the bergamot notes others are mentioning. I may have attributed it to the Virginia.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
because I don’t remember the bergamot notes others are mentioning
Yeah, that citrus note is one of the draws for me and one of my concerns either cellaring - that it may disappear over time. I’ve been reassured in a recent thread that it stays the course and ages beautifully to boot! It also smokes great fresh.