PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jei64822

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2020
I recently ordered a 250g box (produced ~9 months ago) and I was surprised to find that it wasn't nearly as wet and pungent with the casing as other reviews have mentioned. It's certainly not dry, but not particularly wet either. The blackberry casing is present, but I have to get my nose right into the jar to pick it up. I have a tin on the way to compare, but was wondering if anyone had experience with the tinned vs boxed version of this. I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake ordering the bulk version.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I recently ordered a 250g box (produced ~9 months ago) and I was surprised to find that it wasn't nearly as wet and pungent with the casing as other reviews have mentioned. It's certainly not dry, but not particularly wet either. The blackberry casing is present, but I have to get my nose right into the jar to pick it up. I have a tin on the way to compare, but was wondering if anyone had experience with the tinned vs boxed version of this. I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake ordering the bulk version.
There is batch variation. Sure seems like the newer the SG the less topping/casing/Flavoring/whatever they are putting on it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I bought a tin of 2012 Firedance flake really looking to try it as I read the reviews and is sounded freaking great. After smoking it for around 20 minutes I dumped the bowl and I had to say I have never smoke anything that it was the most disgusting blend I had ever smoked. It tasted like I puked in my mouth and was shocked at how it tasted. I sent that tin, a partial brown rope #4 and Black XX Twist to a buddy who wanted to try this stuff. I packed it up, paid for the mailing as I wanted it out of my house and laughed at his reactions that were similar to mine. That was one lossy day of smoking.

jei64822

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2020
There is batch variation. Sure seems like the newer the SG the less topping/casing/Flavoring/whatever they are putting on it.

Interesting, I didn't think of that as a possibility, but certainly could be.

I bought a tin of 2012 Firedance flake really looking to try it as I read the reviews and is sounded freaking great. After smoking it for around 20 minutes I dumped the bowl and I had to say I have never smoke anything that it was the most disgusting blend I had ever smoked. It tasted like I puked in my mouth and was shocked at how it tasted. I sent that tin, a partial brown rope #4 and Black XX Twist to a buddy who wanted to try this stuff. I packed it up, paid for the mailing as I wanted it out of my house and laughed at his reactions that were similar to mine. That was one lossy day of smoking.

That would seem to go with what BROBS was saying, since mine is from 2020. Was the topping too strong for you, or just didn't like it in general?

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I have a tin from 2017/2018 and it was loaded with topping. Just before coming to bed I placed a couple of humidifying coins in the tin to try and bring it back to life. It has been a while since I smoked it and since then I tend to enjoy English and VaPers more often than their sweet friends. I will let you know how they smoke, now that I am a “discerning pipe smoker”.

jei64822

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2020
I have a tin from 2017/2018 and it was loaded with topping. Just before coming to bed I placed a couple of humidifying coins in the tin to try and bring it back to life. It has been a while since I smoked it and since then I tend to enjoy English and VaPers more often than their sweet friends. I will let you know how they smoke, now that I am a “discerning pipe smoker”.

Nice, I'm curious to see how it does rehumidifying after so long

Jan 27, 2020
I bought a couple tins a few months ago. While the one I opened seemed dry for SG standards it wasn't dried out. I agree that its an awful smoke.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I mentioned my experience with bulk Fire Dance in another thread, but will repeat it here since it's relevant to your situation...

I was excited to find some Fire Dance in bulk at a tobacconist very early this year, but was then quite disappointed with the flavor as I didn't get any of the expected blackberry and vanilla from it. My experience was that it just didn't deliver the expected flavor(s) much like my experience with Solani Tropical Mango. For me, the Dan Tobacco aromatics that I've had definitely deliver the flavor!
I'd always heard good things about it, too. I'm wondering if the Fire Dance I got had just been hanging out in the bulk jar for too many years and lost most of its topping. The aroma I get from it out of my jar is mostly dusty and stale with just a whiff of berry.

cc: @jei64822

jei64822

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2020
I mentioned my experience with bulk Fire Dance in another thread, but will repeat it here since it's relevant to your situation...

I was excited to find some Fire Dance in bulk at a tobacconist very early this year, but was then quite disappointed with the flavor as I didn't get any of the expected blackberry and vanilla from it. My experience was that it just didn't deliver the expected flavor(s) much like my experience with Solani Tropical Mango. For me, the Dan Tobacco aromatics that I've had definitely deliver the flavor!
I'd always heard good things about it, too. I'm wondering if the Fire Dance I got had just been hanging out in the bulk jar for too many years and lost most of its topping. The aroma I get from it out of my jar is mostly dusty and stale with just a whiff of berry.

cc: @jei64822

Hmm, the time spent in the bulk jar or in the non-sealed 250g boxes could definitely be it! It's a shame, because I really enjoy what little aroma I do get from it. At least the underlying tobacco is still a solid virginia in its own right. I have a tin coming my way, so I'll update this thread with the comparison.

Reactions: mingc and kschatey

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Hmm, the time spent in the bulk jar or in the non-sealed 250g boxes could definitely be it! It's a shame, because I really enjoy what little aroma I do get from it. At least the underlying tobacco is still a solid virginia in its own right. I have a tin coming my way, so I'll update this thread with the comparison.
A friend also purchased a tin during the most recent drop, so I look forward to comparing as well. Not sure when it will happen, but have this thread bookmarked and will reply with the results.

Reactions: jei64822
I found Firedance to not really have a lot of flavor, or else it was lost to me in a more waxy smell. The Briary carried a bulk blend of Blackberry Brandy that smells like roasting smurfs. I think it is a Newmister product. I mixed that 50/50 with the Firedance it became a lot more palatable. I probably wouldn't want to smoke either of them by themself, but together just became something a whole lot better. I haven't bothered to buy either of them again, but I am always curious as to how others perceive Firedance. Some aromatics are just so polarizing.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
There's batch variation, but there's also the question of how it was stored and for how long. I think it's less of a problem buying it from an online vendor with high turnover, but I'm never too sure of getting flavored bulk flakes from a B&M that has had them for who knows how long.

jei64822

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2020
So I got the Firedance Flake tin in, and wow. It is 10 times stronger than the bulk in terms of topping strength. The flakes aren't overly wet either. It seems the topping just dissipates in the un-vacuum sealed boxes.

Now I'm regretting cellaring so many bulk Gawith blends like Ennerdale, Squadron leader, and St. James...

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee
Status
Not open for further replies.