Bulk Equivalant for Tinder Box: "Philosopher" Blend ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Embers - No, I have not tried BS-005; however, when I visually compared the display picture of loose BS-005 on P&C to that of my supply of Philosopher on-hand, I must say, they look like a possible match. I will have to order some and check it out. - Sherm Natman

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Let's us know what you think.
One person on TobaccoReviews said they thought it might be Crown Achievement.
Hmmmm. CA has Perique, can't imagine that one being the same.

Oct 7, 2016
Been a while since I smoked Philosopher, but.
(1)BS-005 is a relatively recent addition to the Lane line while Philosopher has been in the Tinderbox lineup for well over 35 years;
(2) I have smoked BS 005 fairly recently and it struck me as a borderline lat bomb, not at all like the well balanced Philosopher of memory (though it certainly could have changed).
But I would not completely rule out the possibility that the present version of BS 005 and the present version of Philosopher are identical
I would love to know the answer to this question. Interrogating ex Tinderbox employees over the years has produced varying answers that are usually preceded by "I think..."
You can still buy Philosopher on line if you don't have a local store but at $38 a half pound I have resisted.
Agree it is not Crown Achievement

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've only seen three or four Tinderbox blends identified by their source names, and I didn't make a note, since I tend to source bulk blends online. Most independent pipe shops will identify a blend by its source, if asked. But I still like Tinderbox, since they sold me my first pipe and blends. Sadly, my local Tinderbox has closed or moved to another city, I'm not sure which. But it is gone.

chilly65

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2018
As recently as 20 years ago Philosopher was still being made in England. I saw some of the bulk bags at a local Tinder Box at that time and they had a label that indicated that. I would suspect it was made by McConnell. I still have a pound from that period, as well as a pound of Balkan. The Balkan will knock your socks off. I would drop by a Tinderbox and ask to see one of the bags to see if is still made in England.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Made by Lane now.
20190221_202155.png

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
My dad smoked nothing but pounds and pounds of Philosopher, but I could swear that it was much more than 35 years ago.m I tried it several times, but couldn't get past the latakia.

chilly65

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2018
I have a friend who worked for Ed Kolpin at the original Tinder Box in Santa Monica back in the 1960s. Beginning in the early 1970s he managed a Tinder Box here in Atlanta for about 10 yrs. Last evening I called him to ask what he knew about Philosopher (since it was all he ever smoked). He told me that he visited the TB facilities several times in the 1970s and watched them blending tobacco. They used large cement mixers to mix the various tobaccos. He said for Philosopher they poured in several large bags of Virginia, and smaller bags of Oriental and Latakia. After blending was complete, they would then package it to send out to the various franchised stores. When I told him that I had seen Philosopher in bags marked Made in England in the late 1990s, he told me that was not the original Philosopher and then told me the story above.
I realize this does not the OP, but I did find it interesting.
Mike

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Chilly65 - Mike, I really appreciate you picking up the phone to see what you could learn from your friend regarding the mystery surrounding the current bulk manufacturing source of Philosopher; good try mate! And, you are right; while it doesn't ID the actual manufacturer product ID, it was a cool story nonetheless - Again, thanks for the effort! - Sherm Natman

Status
Not open for further replies.