PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zensmoker

Lurker
Mar 6, 2018
I've been into pipes now for just over a year and have mainly been into the aromatic tobaccos like 1Q, RLP6, and HGL. For fun I had ordered some Carter Hall and Sir Walter Raleigh a while back and I tried it out this week and I really liked them. I'm still a beginner pipe smoker suffering through all the usual afflictions - freight training, and many relights, and I found Carter Hall to be quite forgiving. I'm hoping some fellow members here can recommend some bulk alternatives from SPC that would be similar so I can add a few to the cellar.
TIA!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Chatham Manor, though I think only P&C carries that blend. It's worth your money to get it since you like CH. I recommended Granger, Half & Half, Heine's Blend, SWRA, and Prince Albert. Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend is not like the aforementioned blends, but it's a tasty mild aromatic and you might like it.

Reactions: Ronv69

zensmoker

Lurker
Mar 6, 2018
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm a Canadian and so SPC has cheap international shipping and as a result gets a lot of my business. I don't think P&C does international shipping.

zensmoker

Lurker
Mar 6, 2018
It's not necessarily a cost thing, but it's sold out at SPC plus I wouldn't mind checking out a few similar tobaccos! Any suggestions?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Is that the only blend you presently smoke? If so, what do you like about it taste wise? If not, what other blends have you smoked that you like? There are countless other very good blends to recommend, it is a matter of what you like.

zensmoker

Lurker
Mar 6, 2018
I smoke mainly what I mentioned in my original post. I found CH to have a nice mild taste, almost creamy.
Is that the only blend you presently smoke? If so, what do you like about it taste wise? If not, what other blends have you smoked that you like? There are countless other very good blends to recommend, it is a matter of what you like.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I should have mentioned Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match, too. I really good burley blend that you can buy for about $25.00 a pound. I stocked heavily on this one.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If you live near a cigarette store, the often have the tubs of Carter Hall. Around here they're $27.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
well, we're tawkin burley based here, for the most part, so, all of the above are wonderful suggestions, to which I will add one of C&D's blends available from SPC, Big 'n Burley. It is sneaky smooth with a pretty strong nic hit that will tantalize you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Also look at bulk blends of Virginia, burley and Cavendish, which is usually a mild and dependable blend. There are many of these, so look where you have access to order.

draco

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2014
I smoke a lot of Chatham Manor and it is basically a higher grade version of Carter Hall blended by Russ Oulette. It used to be only available from Pipes and Cigars but Smoking Pipes now carries it as well. It is usually cheaper than Carter Hall, tastes better and has less PG for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.