PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I have a bulk storage question. I have some jarred LNF and LTF that I plan to age for some time but has only been sitting for a couple months. I took advantage of P&C's bulk sale to get some more.
What are your thoughts on adding my fresh to already jarred tobacco? Only 3 months so don't think there's an issue, but curious. Planning to let all of it sit for some time as I have another jar that I smoke currently.
Further questions, if I had bulk jarred for 5 years, would one want to add fresh for any reason (hypothetically for me now)?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Since you're only a couple of months in on aging your current stock and you plan to set this aside to age for years, go ahead and do it, might change the aging process a little bit, but you'll never know and neither would anyone else. However, I wouldn't go adding to a five year aged tobacco unless I like the effect that comes of combining fresh and aged versions of the same blend.
When you open up a sealed jar you interrupt the aging process. After you seal it up, the aging process will eventually resume, but it will be different from having left the tobacco alone. As for the character of that difference, I have no idea. Is it a bad thing? I have no idea. Aging isn't always a good thing. It's just a thing.

Jun 27, 2016
If you are trying to avoid buying more jars for the newest stuff, and the other stuff is only a couple months old, you can probably just add it in there. I started going with smaller jars so I could leave more of it undisturbed as I smoke through the jars. But you end up having to buy more jars that way. :puffy:

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Thanks gents for the insight. I am definitely trying to cut back on my jar supply, so will be combining these tobaccos when they come in. Figure 3 months lost at this point for a bulk won't hurt anything.
And yes, I have an even share of pint and half pint jars full of tobacco. I started out only with pint size, then when I started getting the small 50 gram tins, purchased the smaller ones. THEN when I really thought about it, I'll open a 100 gram tin, put what I want in a rotation in the small jars, and the rest in the large (usually 30% for now, 70% for later).
I like the idea of leaving it undisturbed until I am ready to enjoy!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
It’s amazing how many jars I’ve ended up with over the years... but I have no problem opening a jar when I want in there, however, I probably wouldn’t disturb it’s slumber to introduce some fresh(er) portion of the same blend. I say, get some new jars and figure out how and where you’ll be storing all those damn jars cause you’ll likely end up with a whole shitload of em.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Haha, thanks hawky, ain't that the truth. My wife already feels like I have too many. Looking at online cellars, mine is only the tip of the ice berg. I did some rearranging though in anticipation of the bulk arrival tomorrow. Looks like I will be good on space as long as I don't by any more tobacco for a while...

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Ha, I know. I am waiting for the next shipment of SG to happen and then order what I can there. Pending if C&D comes back in stock at the same time. I really do have enough to satisfy me for many years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.