Bulging Can of Granger - Is This Grangerous?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Let me pose a serious question for a change.

I am cellaring Mucho Granger and obtaining same wherever I can find it...
View attachment 66665
The can in the photo is one of two that I scored in a tobacco shop. It’s old stock and I spotted them stored on the top shelf of the walk-in cigar humidor, as evidenced by the rusty lower rims.

This particular can is literally bursting to be opened and smoked!

Perhaps “bulging” is the more appropriate term. Observe how the top of this can is bulging?
View attachment 66666
The can on the left in this photo.

I have heard that is a sign of a well aged specimen. Although I place this can at maybe 2014? My best guess... it’s STG, not Pinkerton.

I’m finishing up a can and I plan to open and jar this one to smoke next.

Hence, my serious question: Has anyone ever experienced this with a tobacco tin, tub or can?

I certainly wouldn’t eat a bulging can of peaches or Army C-ration or heaven forbid, castor beans. A bulging can of these an indicator of botulism or in the case of the latter, Ricin? Anthrax? (A bad day...)

But if it’s indeed a sign of an ultra tasty ?aged yummy tobacco! I’m all set!

Comments?
Just be carful. When you open them they may go like this...

phobia_diet_coke_animated_gif_image.gif

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
Good news. I had a can from '09 do exactly that. I was concerned it would pop and dry out while I wasn't looking so I went ahead and opened it up and jarred it. Smelled divine. Looked like...well, Granger. Had a bowl just to see and it was Granger with the rough edge mostly smoothed off. You are in for a treat! Nice find.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Good news. I had a can from '09 do exactly that. I was concerned it would pop and dry out while I wasn't looking so I went ahead and opened it up and jarred it. Smelled divine. Looked like...well, Granger. Had a bowl just to see and it was Granger with the rough edge mostly smoothed off. You are in for a treat! Nice find.
Pinkerton did have a harshness that the STG version does not. At least for me.

Yeah, I can’t wait to get into that one! That is good news!

My Tobacconist passed away in 2017. Now it’s just a cigar and lottery ticket place.

Saw those two cans and grabbed em.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Like Brother @Richmond B. Funkenhouser said, "It's Science."

Little microbes are inside that can of Granger; and, they are busily producing off-gasses, which is in turn causing the distention you are observing.

The question then becomes: "Is it good bacteria or bad bacteria?"

The immediate answer will be provided by visual and olfactory observation upon opening the can and inspecting the contents; however, the ultimate answer will be provided by the smoking.

Since you don't know what is going on in there, you might reconsider opening it until a later date.

Why?

Well, if it is bad, then all you're doing is rushing to throw it out; whereas, if it is good, and you open it now, you might be robbing yourself of full fermentation benefit which is occurring inside.

Therefore, if you wait - until the seam splits on it's own, or, the can ends become so distended that you can't imagine it getting any more distorted - and it turns out to be good, you will have capitalized on the fullest benefit afforded by of the effect - depending on your self-control and patience, or lack thereof.

Or, in other words: if you suspect your cask of what should be 20 year old aging Scotch to be in question, why open the cast on year 16 to find out it's good after all... if you do indeed confirm it to be good, now you have 16 year old Scotch instead of 20.

I say, let that can sit until it splits a seam on it's own, or, when you can no longer observe any more noticeable distortion for a period of time.

The other possibility is that the RYO guy saw you coming a mile away, and slapped an old Granger label on a big can of botulism-tainted peaches; and sold it to you for $30. :ROFLMAO:

My 2 cents - Sherm Natman

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
Like Brother @Richmond B. Funkenhouser said, "It's Science."

Little microbes are inside that can of Granger; and, they are busily producing off-gasses, which is in turn causing the distention you are observing.

The question then becomes: "Is it good bacteria or bad bacteria?"

The immediate answer will be provided by visual and olfactory observation upon opening the can and inspecting the contents; however, the ultimate answer will be provided by the smoking.

Since you don't know what is going on in there, you might reconsider opening it until a later date.

Why?

Well, if it is bad, then all you're doing is rushing to throw it out; whereas, if it is good, and you open it now, you might be robbing yourself of full fermentation benefit which is occurring inside.

Therefore, if you wait - until the seam splits on it's own, or, the can ends become so distended that you can't imagine it getting any more distorted - and it turns out to be good, you will have capitalized on the fullest benefit afforded by of the effect - depending on your self-control and patience, or lack thereof.

Or, in other words: if you suspect your cask of what should be 20 year old aging Scotch to be in question, why open the cast on year 16 to find out it's good after all... if you do indeed confirm it to be good, now you have 16 year old Scotch instead of 20.

I say, let that can sit until it splits a seam on it's own, or, when you can no longer observe any more noticeable distortion for a period of time.

The other possibility is that the RYO guy saw you coming a mile away, and slapped an old Granger label on a big can of botulism-tainted peaches; and sold it to you for $30. :ROFLMAO:

My 2 cents - Sherm Natman

Will he try it in a unmolested cobb or a honey coated cobb??...

That is the question.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Will he try it in a unmolested cobb or a honey coated cobb??...

That is the question.
Everything is in question where Brother Grangerous is concerned. LOL!

I was really worried when he wrote in his post above: "I saw those two cans and grabbed them!".

I had an immediate flash-back to the time he and I went to Tennessee to buy some rare small-crop Burley from this boutique tobacco farmer down there.

Well, since we were all the way down South, rather than just head directly back home with our purchase, I had the unfortunate idea that we should go to Dollywood for the day; especially as Dolly herself was there that week greeting visitors at the front gate.

Well, you can guess the rest of the story for yourself.

We didn't stop hearing shotgun blasts behind us until we reached Charlotte, NC; and, since the bails of tobacco we bought we in the trunk of the car, when we finally got back to his house in New Jersey, I made him pick all the shot-pellets out of the tobacco by hand.

Some people you just can't take anywhere. :ROFLMAO: - Sherm Natman

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Everything is in question where Brother Grangerous is concerned. LOL!

I was really worried when he wrote in his post above: "I saw those two cans and grabbed them!".

I had an immediate flash-back to the time he and I went to Tennessee to buy some rare small-crop Burley from this boutique tobacco farmer down there.

Well, since we were all the way down South, rather than just head directly back home with our purchase, I had the unfortunate idea that we should go to Dollywood for the day; especially as Dolly herself was there that week greeting visitors at the front gate.

Well, you can guess the rest of the story for yourself.

We didn't stop hearing shotgun blasts behind us until we reached Charlotte, NC; and, since the bails of tobacco we bought we in the trunk of the car, when we finally got back to his house in New Jersey, I made him pick all the shot-pellets out of the tobacco by hand.

Some people you just can't take anywhere. :ROFLMAO: - Sherm Natman
Never again! That trip hurt! Dolly’s got some touchy security guys.... no sense of humor... at all.
1C759C7A-8074-4A95-B18A-956630067430.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.