Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does not give a %. It states contains no beeswax and Silicone. It was rated very high on Amazon, and it claims to be a product since 1897

Yeah, ok, it's WITH some carnauba, and is a paste. Does it give a percentage?

Well, it's sold in drugstores as a colon greaser! But it's great on butcher block, and any wooden kitchen utensils. Or most dried out wood items.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I assumed he was buffing the stem, and it flung the pipe, breaking the briar. From the first picture, I assumed I was going to see a broken tenon.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Sure could be. Or where someone poked the heel with a pipe tool.
Thanks to your question I looked more closely, and see some real weak area near the bottom of the walls.
You never know...I wonder if it may have happened during the rustication process or perhaps added to the reasoning to make the pipe rusticated.

Either way, it's neat to see it in half and the burn in process.

Reactions: diamondback

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It makes sense now, I pictured the pipe still in hand when it split. Haha

Yeah my buffer is a 3500 rpm grinder I converted. I have sent some tampers flying before but luckily no pipes....yet.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
It makes sense now, I pictured the pipe still in hand when it split. Haha

Yeah my buffer is a 3500 rpm grinder I converted. I have sent some tampers flying before but luckily no pipes....yet.
Give it time. Those high rpm grinders are unforgiving bastards.

If you haven’t yet, consider switching down to 4” wheels to get a lower sfpm.

— pruss

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Keep the object being buffed below the center line of the wheel and it will not grab. If you are above the center line and the object begins to get grabbed, it gets pulled down to a bigger part of the wheel makes it grab more which pulls it to a thicker part of the wheel which makes it grab more….

Pow! It throws the object. Sometimes with great force.

Keep the object being buffed below the center line. It's hard to remember to always do, but it will surprise you.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Keep the object being buffed below the center line of the wheel and it will not grab. If you are above the center line and the object begins to get grabbed, it gets pulled down to a bigger part of the wheel makes it grab more which pulls it to a thicker part of the wheel which makes it grab more….

Pow! It throws the object. Sometimes with great force.

Keep the object being buffed below the center line. It's hard to remember to always do, but it will surprise you.
Sage advice. Also, wear a leather apron... or some other chest protection.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
If any object from a buffer can be thrown onto your chest, etc. You have your buffer wired incorrectly. It should spin away from you (counter-clockwise), which would throw the object to the floor/wall, but never onto the person. (same for a grinder etc.) If you are at risk by being hit by a buffed object, something is wrong.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I remember a conversation on a now defunct forum concerning a mishap with a Dremel and a pipe. Someone very succinctly said “Shit happens fast at 10000 rpm”.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If any object from a buffer can be thrown onto your chest, etc. You have your buffer wired incorrectly. It should spin away from you (counter-clockwise), which would throw the object to the floor/wall, but never onto the person. (same for a grinder etc.) If you are at risk by being hit by a buffed object, something is wrong.

Perspective! I see it as spinning towards the operator, and/but do think of it as CCW. In other words, if a penny were place at the top of the wheel, when it starts, it will drop off in front of the operator. Is that right?

Reactions: pruss

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Perspective! I see it as spinning towards the operator, and/but do think of it as CCW. In other words, if a penny were place at the top of the wheel, when it starts, it will drop off in front of the operator. Is that right?
That's how mine is, and I did think of that as "towards the operator" lol

Reactions: pruss
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Sad, but accidents happen. Thankfully your friend did not get hurt.

I restored two or three pipes with less intrusive methods. Not knowing nothing and not being handy at all, makes me try simpler and sometimes unorthodox methods. I have found the following

Micromesh and Pipe Stem oil works wonders for vulcanite
Murphy’s Oil Soap, Caranuba Wax and Kitchen tissue returns bowls to an acceptable (Not pristine) condition. I think since Caranuba wax is like shoe polish, a shoe brush will do wonders to a briar bowl.
ChasingEmbers use toothpaste and bartenders friend. I will try this as well
I used Jewelers cloth with spectacular result on silver and nickel rings
Btw, Tried for the fist time this Chasingembers toothpaste/Bartender cleaning mix,and it worked wonders on my semi oxidized vulcanite stem, I started with Magic cleaner then followed up by Bartender(Vim)water mix+thumb puffing quite a labor intensive job but efficient enough

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Somewhere there is a video of Mogen Johansen of Johs pipes carving stummels on a wheel. He's famous for turning out product. Making it look that (relatively) easy is a hazard to the public. Don't try this at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.