PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
Since delving deeper into pipe restoration I have decided that I want to rig up a basic buffing setup. My house mate works construction so I think between the two of us we can rig something up but we have no idea where to start. So I was wondering if you guys could post up pictures and an explanation of your setup and maybe some tips and advice of what you would do the same or different. He has many drills and tools but no lathe or drill press. We also have easy access to Harbor Freight tools and stores of the like. Thanks fellas.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i'd recommend buying the buffing wheels from pimo's and using a drill. buy a milwaukee drill. mine's a dewalt and the speed is a little too high for that sort of thing; i'd prefer the slower speed of milwaukee for that- no to mention reaming too. at some point maybe i'll just find a motor that can be used in place of the drill. buying a motor specifically for buffing is way more expensive.
we used to tap holes with a drill. if you have a high torque drill with variable speed and some finesse it's not too hard.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Many guys out there get a washing machine motor and rig that up, by building a bracket system, making an arbor, power switch, etc.
Others use drills. I have a grinder that I bought from Home Depot. It's a little too fast as far as speed, but I have found ways to work around that. Like patiobum stated, you can get buffers for fairly cheap prices.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Here's my home made setup. 1725 RPM,110 volt motors. Got my arbors and buffing supplies from Jestco.com .
100_6097-800x600-600x450.jpg

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
did you get a permit and have that electrical wiring approved by your local inspector? You know he needs to check your work out to ensure public safety...we must be monitored and controlled. :wink:

drsam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2011
http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buffman.htm
if you go to this site you can grt a lot of good info about buffing. also try amazon.com for buffers.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Mine is a simple 1750 rpm motor (from my parents furnace?, found it in their basement). My uncle had a pad arbor that mounted on the shaft. Member Ejames recommended Jestco for an arbor mount and pads. My pads came from him (I also had some from my metal polishing) I replaced the nut with a large wingnut for quick pad replacement.

http://www.jestcoproducts.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=40

This setup works very well, just a little inconvenient changing pads. If I ever do more, I'll get a dual shaft/arbor motor

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
I have an old single shaft 1100 rpm dryer motor, but found changing pads tiresome, so ended up with the dual arbor Harbor Freight 40 buck job. It turns fast, so you'd better be on your toes and handle those pipes carefully. If you don't they go flying like a rocket.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Beall Tool Company has a couple of different setups for a reasonable price.
Beall Wood Buff Kit
Apparently you can use a 4 in wheel on a 3200 RPM motor and it's the same as an 8 in on a 1750.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Beall stuff turned me off because the components only came as a set. A member of the SmokersForum.uk makes and sells a knock off of the Beall setup for about $20 less, I have his name somewhere.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
did you get a permit and have that electrical wiring approved by your local inspector? You know he needs to check your work out to ensure public safety...we must be monitored and controlled. [:wink:]
But of course!!

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
ssjones, I think that would be me.......... Was going to say, I've made kits for with both quick change arbors for mounting on an electric motor and the type for mounting in a drill or drill press.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
I use a little Foredom buffer with a 3" or 4" pad. It has adjustment for speed so it can be turned down fairly slow. Got it on the bay for $20

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
did you get a permit and have that electrical wiring approved by your local inspector? You know he needs to check your work out to ensure public safety...we must be monitored and controlled. [:wink:]

Uh, don't look too close at my setup. I put on an old washing machine cord and wired in a toggle on/off switch. Strictly shade tree....

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
He he, now I dont feel bad about my set up. I have a GE washer motor that turns 1750 and I use 4" buffs. I also have a light switch hooked to it. Other than getting a bit warm to the touch the motor is a beast!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That motor was in my parents basement for decades, not exactly sure why. It has two oil ports, which you don't see much on modern motors. It runs quiet and cool.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Hobiedog was the kid told the teacher that she forgot to assign homework! So there's a little risk! Pipe smoking, and it's associated afflictions are extreme hobbies!

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
I use a corded drill mounted in a woekmate. I got two wheels with arbors at home depot for $9 each. I got my carnuba from woodcraft supply. And then I got some cheap small wheels and rouge at Harbor freight for scratchier work. It works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.