Buffalo Trace V Wild Turkey V Jim Beam White Label.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Still on my bourbon testing trail and this time I'm comparing three straight bourbons suggested by various members, though member Bengel was more helpful than most.

So I had Buffalo Trace at 40% abv, Wild Turkey at 40.5% abv and Jim Beam White Label at 40% abv. These were tasted separately each night on their own though following on from a couple or three bottles of ale. All shots were about 11cl (I get roughly 6 shots per 70cl bottle) and each shot has about a teaspoon of cold water added.

First off the Buffalo Trace, this I found to be well tasty with a little spicy finish. Flavours of vanilla and some undiscernible spice with nuttiness and corn sweetness to boot. Allegedly aged for 8 years, this I can well believe as it comes across as being very smooth indeed. Not Jack Daniel's 'Gentleman Jack' smooth but very smooth nontheless. A well deserved 7 1/2 out of 10.

Second is Wild Turkey. This I found to be very similar to Buffalo Trace in flavour profile though with more emphasis on sweetness and vanilla. The corn flavours certainly came through on this one but for some reason every time I had a glass of this I was left with a slightly unpleasant aftertaste in my mouth. I've not a clue what was causing that but it certainly was there. As for the extra .5% abv I really wish I knew why it was there. Bragging rights perhaps? I think 6 out of 10 is a fair score for this one.

Finally we come to Jim Beam's White Label. Now this was a very different kettle of fish. This bore little resemblance to the previous two inasmuch as it tasted more like a rye whiskey than a bourbon. A little research explained that I wasn't a million miles off as apparently this particular tipple has a much higher rye content in the mash bill. The first few times I tried this I was a tad disappointed in its lack of sweetness but as time went on I came to appreciate it more. Obviously much drier than the above two it was still packed with flavours and a slight earthiness and a little spice plus it had a nice fiery kick to it that the others lacked. I would say 7 1/2 out of 10 would be reasonable here.

These are of course my own personal views and likely not going to match with those of you who are more seasoned bourbon drinkers. I am no connoisseur of borbon (or anything else for that matter) but have enjoyed this little excercise.

I am currently comparing Jim Beam's Double Oak and Bulleit's Frontier bourbons so will give my views when I'm done. I have just today taken delivery of Old Forester (43% abv) and Maker's Mark (45% abv) so they will follow the above.

buffalo-trace-whiskey.jpg

jim beam.jpg

wild turkey.jpg

Regards,

Jay.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
A couple of suggestions to widen out your comparison.

My favorite under $25

Old-Fo-100-Bottle.png

Favorite under $20.

large-ew1l.jpg

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
Agreed with musicman, the 101 Proof Wild Turkey is the core release from them. Wild Turkey 101 has been a staple for me for almost 2 decades, for a while it was all I drank. Don't know if I've ever even had the lower proof version, I heard Wild Turkey decided to make the lower proof version for bars to use for mixing while they think the whiskey straight tastes best at 101 proof. Buffalo Trace and Jim Beam whiskeys are both high quality as well and I usually have a couple bottles from each distillery in my cabinet.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Agreed with musicman, the 101 Proof Wild Turkey is the core release from them. Wild Turkey 101 has been a staple for me for almost 2 decades, for a while it was all I drank. Don't know if I've ever even had the lower proof version, I heard Wild Turkey decided to make the lower proof version for bars to use for mixing while they think the whiskey straight tastes best at 101 proof. Buffalo Trace and Jim Beam whiskeys are both high quality as well and I usually have a couple bottles from each distillery in my cabinet.
This right here. Just like the Scottish distilleries feel their product is best at 86 proof, it seems like the sweet spot for bourbon is somewhere between 90 and 100 proof, as most expressions that are released in the states are somewhere around this range. Also, I find most of the Jim Beam labelled releases to be just ok, but I'm a huge fan of all the premium bottlings from the Jim Beam distillery (Knob Creek and Basil Haydn are excellent, and Booker's and Baker's are heavenly! Booker's is probably the smoothest high proof whiskey out there. 129 proof and imminently drinkable right out of the bottle!).

Reactions: Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
Totally agree with Skydog, WT 101 is my staple. Coming in close, because it's an outrageous bang for the buck, is Evan Williams BiB. But there's no way they're going to keep it at this price point, so stock up while you can.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I've never had the lower proof Wild Turkey but I used to buy the Wild Turkey 101 Proof (50.5 ABV) all the time. You should try the Russell's Reserve 10 Year Old Bourbon if you can find it. It's made by Wild Turkey and is named after the master distiller.

Reactions: Bengel

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"If you like rye, maybe try the Jim bean single barrel?"

I already have a bottle (unopened) only mine is made by Jim Beam ;)

Some interesting suggestions popping up here for future trials. Interesting to hear that bourbon has an optimum strength to get the most from it. I never heard that afore.

Regards,

Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
It seems I read 'fake news' regarding Jim Beam White Label being aged 8 years. According to most sites it is aged for 4 years.

"Jim Beam bourbon undergoes distillation at lower temperatures and is distilled to no more than 62.5%, the White label is aged for four years and has quite a high percentage of rye in the mash bill."

"(Beam ages its barrels in rackhouses in several locations throughout the state.) The best-selling Jim Beam white label, aged four years, tastes a lot like other entry-level bourbons."

8 years or 4 years, it's still a pretty good tipple.

Regards,

Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Just ordered Woodford Reserve Small Batch and Wild Turkey 101!

"Wild Turkey 101 Bourbon offers an explosion of vanilla and caramel flavours with notes of honey, brown sugar, oranges and a hint of tobacco. Its high proof gives it a bolder flavour."

"Woodford Reserve Distiller’s Select is a small-batch bourbon from Kentucky. It is a straight bourbon made on Kentucky's oldest distillery site. Bourbon has complex aromas of dried fruit, vanilla and tobacco spice, followed by flavours of toffee and spice with a long, warming finish."

Tobacco flavoured bourbon eh, not Lakeland I hope :oops:

Can't wait for 7th May to roll around :)

Regards,

Jay.

• Haha
Reactions: shanez and Bengel
Status
Not open for further replies.