PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Buffers are the WMD's of the pipe world.
And Dremmels too, I think. I see people recommend using a Dremmel or other rotary tool on Facebook for one thing or another all the time. And the thought just scares the crap out of me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've used the pen tool for polishing, but it was connected to a larger variable speed Dremel tool. Nice and slow.

Jan 8, 2013
I've used the pen tool for polishing,
79811-balls.jpg
:mrgreen:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
:rofl:
Just done a lot of carving with it. At slow speeds, it's hard to cause damage.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Just for fun, a couple of months ago, I put a basket base, sandblasted Sasieni 4 Dot on my buffer and hit it hard with White Diamond. I really pushed but was hard-pressed to notice any unusual wear (on the briar). To cause damaged like on the stem that Dave posted, that take some deliberate abuse. Sad, you cannot unring that bell.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
If you look at the top view there is some significant scratching that strongly suggests more than buffing. I suspect that bit was subjected so some pretty aggressive sanding with a heavy grit while off the shank.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Over-buffing? Impossible. Unless the wood's smokin' and the rubber's meltin', ya ain't doin' it right. RPM rules!!!
This guy has the right idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ6w7MJLNLA

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Al, you'd need to press extremely firmly for a long period of time with white diamond to create that kind of wear. However, with Tripoli, it can be done within minutes. In the wrong hands with too much pressure, Tripoli can turn a black sand blast into a smooth natural finish. :(
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Michael, yep Tripoli is an eraser and for the most part, has no place on a pipe restoration bench. I learned to polish metal (aluminum & stainless motorcycle parts) long before pipes and quickly learned to put my Tripoli and sisal wheel away.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I was looking at an old Dunhill the other day, but it was buffed to death. I was going to post a pic here, but someone bought it. Oh well, it resembled the first pic in this thread.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
I'm assuming when we see examples like that, it's because the stem and stummel are buffed separately?

Yep. Always a terrible idea.
If you look at the top view there is some significant scratching that strongly suggests more than buffing.

Another yep. No electric power necessary. These two City de Luxe stems were ruined with nothing more than sandpaper and Mico-Mesh pads (disclaimer: not my work)...
9F7noEw.jpg

cGHlcng.jpg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Wow, I use sandpaper and micromesh all the time and haven't caused anything like that. That's some serious scrubbing!

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I will not buy a pipe if it has been buffed, no matter how much I Ike it. I can use micromesh paper on the stems and wax and elbow grease on the entire pipe and am completely satisfied with the results.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
There's nothing wrong with buffing a pipe. Every pipe you've ever seen has hit a buffing wheel at some point. I'm not sure how you could even do what that guy did on accident. I've taking a clunker pipe with a totally brown stem and and just went crazy on the wheel just to see and it still looked nothing like that. That's pretty impressive

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
MIsused buffers, Dremmels, and let's not forget reamers. Reamers used wrong will fix a pipe right up ... for the landfill.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Buffing should be applied like seasoning. A little dab will do you. I had to post that when I seen it. I’ve seen so many rare old classics ruined this way. There’s no shortcuts if you want it done right. You have to put in the grunt work.
Shiny sells on the bay

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Thank You dear Gentlemen for bringing up this interesting learning lesson,especially I'was amused to learn about the effects of Dremel drill,must confess,I've been done that road before,with various results.

Well,lets assume,stem being oxidized and I'm to remove this oxidation using good reliable sanding method,wondering how on the earth one can properly sand the whole stem if its not separated from the stummel/mortise?

+ 1 for Anthony76.

Status
Not open for further replies.