PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
A while back, a friend brought over a pipe for me. He had reached up on a beam in his crawl space and come across this pipe. When I got it...well it was pretty rough. I noticed the stem didn't match...(not positive on the stem but it isn't original) Using my usual at home repair methods, I stripped whatever was on it, gave it a salt treatment, cleaned it out, then did a very light sanding on the bowl, didn't put it back fully in round as it was badly off and didn't want to thin it much. Scrubbed the stem with a magic eraser, polished with toothpaste. Then stained the bowl (with a stain pen!), and polished it up with a soft cloth and was ready to smoke. Pretty decent little smoker, gets a bit on the hot side, but it's expected. Still some touching up, and really could use a good coat of wax. However, it's a "beater" pipe, so looks good enough versus first encounter!

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Will get some new ones of finished product when I can, I know the last two pics are not the best, shot them in a hurry to show the guy who gave it to me. Turned out decent I think!
IMG_2424_zpsvicsaeip.jpg

IMG_2425_zpspmjw1odz.jpg

IMG_2426_zpsopekbjlu.jpg

IMG_2428_zpsnhuqitrq.jpg

IMG_2429_zpsqaaiftwi.jpg

IMG_2431_zpscjwwtcxw.jpg

IMG_2432_zpsxjzhqat1.jpg

IMG_2455_zps6dpihcql.jpg

IMG_2456_zpshiyzrgzq.jpg

IMG_2457_zpsexmd7rwf.jpg

IMG_2458_zpsryvulo1v.jpg

IMG_2459_zpsrsmfi3ku.jpg

IMG_2460_zpsysduav9g.jpg

Used Direct link, not sure why the normal method was showing broken links....but this will work I suppose.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There's a story, how it arrived on a beam in a crawl space. Surreptitious smoker? Forgetful carpenter? Intruder in hiding? Nice little pipe, undoubtedly U.S. made.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Not sure of the stem maker, would like to eventually get the proper one to fit it.
As for the reason for it being hidden. He assumed grandpa was smoking and hiding it from grandma...while she smoked upstairs in the bathroom :) Was nice to have a back story on it.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice job! The Bucko's are great as a small pocket pipe. They were made by Grabow. Somewhere along the way someone has replaced the stem in yours,it looks to have a WDC stem. Grabow never used a triangular stem logo or a stinger made like that.It should be a white spade with a much shorter stinger. The Bucko was made from 1985 to 1991.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is a storied pipe. You should type up the details and save it with the pipe somehow. If it smokes well, I'd save the mismatched stem as part of the package.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
The stem is from a WDC Hesson Guard
This is a storied pipe. You should type up the details and save it with the pipe somehow. If it smokes well, I'd save the mismatched stem as part of the package.
Thanks for the info everyone. I would like to keep the stem with it, I did keep a little of...well whatever made the spots around the rim still visible. Don't know what kind of abuse this thing took, but it wasn't in too bad of shape. Also, all of my pipes have stories, the sentiment gives you something to think of every time you fire it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.