PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Well, after close inspection of my Hardcastle Royal Bruyere - it has started to bubble, I assume it's from the heat. This is quite upsetting, as I'm sure there is nothing I can do to repair it, unless it all comes off and I try to refinish it with a matching stain.
Has this ever happened to anybody before? I'm glad I didn't pay too much for the pipe. It's a great smoker, but damn, one bowl and already it shows bubbling on the shank.

buckeye

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 16, 2010
no but i wonder what type of finish is on it. can you post a pick.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
I tried to get a good angle, I couldn't. I circled the parts that are slightly raised now.
bubbling-1.jpg

buckeye

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 16, 2010
nice lookin pipe. that is ashame. the only thing i can think of is they put varnish on it and the heat made it bubble.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
My savinelli did the same thing. I removed the remaining clear coat (whatever it was) with some rubbing alcohol and finished with 1500 grit.
I doubt that the stain will need to be redone unless the bare briar was treated with something prior to being stained. Strip the clear coat/varnish and re-wax.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Looks to me like something other than heat caused it to bubble only where the circles are.

Hardcastle is owned by Dunhill, and even though Royal Bruyere is a Hardcastle second, I doubt they would have many problems with the finish. Could this be an estate pipe that was varnished over prior to sale? In that case the coating may have separated from the surface because there was some residual wax or oil on the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.